How to implement custom node that wait for User Action trigger in another app

Hi All,

I am trying to do POC n8n for a workflow process.

Let’s say there is a Web application for shipment creation. Once a shipment is created it has its own life cycle as mentioned below:

1. Shipment Request Creation
    In this step, a user fills out a form to create a request in a web application, and from the backend API service, I would like to trigger a workflow that contains Shipment Request Creation node. The trigger will have a JSON payload of a shipment request.

2. Shipment update ERP
    Post the output of the previous node to the ERP system.

For this step, I could use the HTTP Request node.

Step 1 and Step 2 will happen immediately once the workflow is triggered.

1. Vehicle Assignment
    In this step, a user fills vehicle details against a specific shipment request in a web application, and from the backend API service, I would like to trigger a workflow that contains Vehicle Assignment node. The trigger will have a JSON payload of a shipment request.

This step should get executed only when user action happens at other web applications and how to create a custom node which should wait for such trigger.

1. Truck-In
    In this step, a user fills truck details during entry to the factory against a specific shipment request in a web application, and from the backend API service, I would like to trigger a workflow that contains Truck In node. The trigger will have a JSON payload of a shipment request.

This step should get executed only when user action happens at other web applications and how to create a custom node which should wait for such trigger.

1. Truck Out
    In this step, a user fills truck details during exit from the factory against a specific shipment request in a web application, and from the backend API service, I would like to trigger a workflow that contains Truck Out node. The trigger will have a JSON payload of a shipment request.

1. Shipment Provision to ERP
    Post the output of the previous node to the ERP system.

For this step, I could use the HTTP Request node and can execute it immediately after the previous node execution.

1. Proof of Delivery
    In this step, a user fills delivery details against a specific shipment request in a web application, and from the backend API service, I would like to trigger a workflow that contains Proof of Delivery node. The trigger will have a JSON payload of a shipment request.

Vehicle Assignment, Truck-In, Truck Out, Proof of Delivery are needs to be wait nodes in a single workflow and should be able to trigger via HTTP requests from other applications.

Please refer to the attached image for understanding the flow.
Thanks Swapnil Satpathy

Hi, not really clear what you are asking here? Is it for advice on whether Node-RED can do this? Or how it might do it?

Again, not really clear I'm afraid. n8n is a different tool to Node-RED. Are you saying that you are wanting to reproduce an n8n flow in Node-RED as a proof of concept?

Incidentally, Node-RED could certainly handle the flows you have outlined. It has several methods of presenting forms to users and can trigger flows off the back of the user form submissions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.