How to play a sound?

Can you just confirm that you did indicate that using /dev/dsp does work from node-red?

When I ran the command back in #14 it fails.

I didn't do it in NR because there is no command to play the file.

Post #10 shows both versions of the command work/play the sound.

So, sorry, what is the command you want me to do in NR?

You showed the output for
mpg123 -a /dev/audio /home/me/.node-red/public/Sounds/Bell-ding-loud.mp3
which did not work.
I said

and you said

I took "Yeah, ok" to mean that it worked with /dev/dsp, and you were asking why you needed to use /dev/dsp. Was I naive in taking that meaning from your words?

Sorry.

Miss-communication.

I wanted to know why it was needed. Subsequently when I went down the ls -l /dev/dsp* and got an error, it was understood by me that as that gave an error, it seemed academic.

However, if I make the command:
mpg123 -a /dev/dsp /home/me/.node-red/public/Sounds/Bell-ding-loud.mp3

I see this (just a few of the messages)

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directoryCannot connect to server request channel

JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlockJackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side

ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map

(No sound was heard.)
I think that it doesn't work.

If you still got the problem, build up an ssh connection to your machine, which got the hdmi. Then try the commands that work in your terminal to push them via ssh.

For example a current solution for me is:
i installed sshpass.then you can run a command on the machine with the hdmi following command:

sshpass -p 'password' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no user@host 'command'

it should play like you are sending the command via putty or anything else