Influx stopped writing data

just replace the reference from stretch to jessie and you should be ok.
as they seem to have a repo for it - https://repos.influxdata.com/debian/dists/

1 Like

I think automatic updates are worse than an outdated version (maybe except firewalls).
If the system is stable, an unnecessary update can only break it (ask the one, who updated his esp8266 - he build into a wall - regulary...)

1 Like

Well there are dangers of course and you might occasionally get a problem. However, I don't think I've ever had problems with updates on my Pi's.

And updates can be hard to know if they are necessary or not. One thing I can say is that I've had problems with updates when I've let things get too far behind.

ESP8266 embedded devices might be a bit different. There I don't often do updates because they can be a faff.

That depends what you mean by "automatic". By installing from a repository one can use apt-get to check and tell you when updates are available. Then one can make a decision if/when to upgrade, and the upgrade process should then be easy. I would not configure the system to actually do the upgrades without my intervention.

@Colin: For me this means that this is a fully automated process...

You can also clearly see the problem with automatic updates on Android (i guess ios is the same). It happened to me often, that a good working app lost an important functionality (for me) or just got worse (slower, more ads, etc) with the update. And then there is even no easy way back! (before i had titanium backup)

And as a last example: google about the windows updates rendering certain notebooks useless and unrepairable (by the user) - with boot problems, there are a lot more...

Yup, absolutely :slight_smile: Why have a machine and then do the work yourself!

There is a world of difference between a mobile OS and the Debian based Rasbian OS.

I too don't let iOS update automatically and I always leave some time after a new release. The same is true of Windows and would be true with something like Ubuntu desktop.

But Debian/Rasbian are much more stable OS's. Updates tend to happen relatively infrequently and so have generally been widely tested before they make it into the OS. I've been auto-updating my Pi3 and a couple of Debian based VPS's ever since I set them up some years ago and have never had any issues at all. Indeed, the VPS's never even get rebooted - ever! I do occasionally reboot the Pi but that is more down to ease and clearing memory than anything else.

Also worth noting that apt updates do not, by default, do major OS version updates. Again that is a different thing that needs planning and preparation.

1 Like