Is it possible to have a Projects folder outside of ~/.node-red

Hello,

I'm using Node-Red for a plankton microscope, and we just discovered the projects feature!

I was wondering if it was possible to have the project folder is not hidden down in the .node-red folder? It would make it easier for our workflow of pushing changes / commiting changes to our main repo as right now, we have to use Export and Import and this is a real pain (since it changes the nodes id, it's impossible to know what changes have been made).

Sincerely,
Romain

Hi @gromain

no, the project has to live under ~/.node-red/projects/<name-of-project>

Ok, that's a bummer (but it makes sense in a way).

Would a symbolic link from here to where we want it work?

Not something I've tried, but I can't immediately think why not.

I've just tried, and for now it looks like node-red doesn't follow symbolic links for projects.

Here are my steps:

~$ ln -s /home/pi/projecttest /home/pi/.node-red/projects/projecttest

Then in Node-Red, the folder projecttest doesn't appear when I want to select it.

why not use
ln -s /home/pi/.node-red/projects/projecttest /home/pi/projecttest
i.e first comes the path to the folder then comes the shortlink name so you leave the project alone but you hav access to the folder using your short link

Yes, this is what I ended up doing.

It would still be nice to have a way to have projects in other folders than the main .node-red one. I'll put in a github issue about that.

Thanks for the help!

We don't use the github issue list for feature requests.

I have added an item to the backlog for the projects feature - Trello

Ah OK, perfect then! Thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.