Is it possible to run a script from Docker Node-RED on host that opens in a bash windo?

I am using Screen via SSH to run a backup script on the host. The tricky thing is that I want a clean backup, so I'm stopping everything including Node-RED when doing it. I would like to be able to see on VNC if the script is still running, but that means that I need Screen to run the script in a window. I have tried to search around, but I haven't found an answer to that, probably because it's not a common use. The node is like this:

{
        "id": "eb607f0925ac4680",
        "type": "inject",
        "z": "139a05b0e07293f9",
        "name": "",
        "props": [
            {
                "p": "payload"
            },
            {
                "p": "topic",
                "vt": "str"
            }
        ],
        "repeat": "",
        "crontab": "",
        "once": false,
        "onceDelay": 0.1,
        "topic": "",
        "payload": "",
        "payloadType": "date",
        "x": 100,
        "y": 400,
        "wires": [
            [
                "fab1883caac56ce6"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "fab1883caac56ce6",
        "type": "exec",
        "command": "sshpass -p \"SECRET_PASSWORD\" ssh pi@192.168.5.2 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no \"screen -S sikkerhetskopiering -d -m /home/pi/sikkerhetskopiering.sh\"",
        "addpay": "",
        "append": "",
        "useSpawn": "false",
        "timer": "",
        "winHide": false,
        "oldrc": false,
        "name": "Backup via Screen",
        "x": 270,
        "wires": [
            [
                "e12ed03ace973a37"
            ],
            [
                "e12ed03ace973a37"
            ],
            [
                "e12ed03ace973a37"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "e12ed03ace973a37",
        "type": "debug",
        "name": "debug 23",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "false",
        "statusVal": "",
        "statusType": "auto",
        "x": 460,
        "wires": []
    }
]

So the SSH command is:

sshpass -p "SECRET_PASSWORD" ssh pi@192.168.5.2 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no "screen -S sikkerhetskopiering -d -m /home/pi/sikkerhetskopiering.sh"

Is there a way to do what I want, or is that just not possible?

If you are running screen on the remote device, you should be able to reconnect to the screen session from a different terminal. Have a look at the screen commands. Been a long time since I used it so I don't know the commands off the top of my head.

I don't know if Docker makes a difference, but regarding running commands over ssh on another device:

Can't you tell that the script is still running because the exec node has not sent a message on it's return code output?

And if you set the exec node to send output while the command is running, you can see progress messages from your script.

@TotallyInformation I have tried to find some way to do it, but it maybe over my head...

@jbudd Well, as I said, I am stopping everything with the script including Node-RED, so there is no node to receive the message.

Oh, finally found it! I can use screen -ls, which will show me the running sessions as numbers, let's say it's 92358 and then screen -r 92358 to connect to it!

1 Like

But you are running the command from node red on a "separate" machine?

Oh you solved it. :grinning:

Yep, I did! :+1: But no, I'm running the command on the only Pi that I have in my car, so a Docker instance running on the host that runs the script. No other Pi's are connected to that network to send the command, and I'm automating a backup to a directory named after date and time every night at 04.30. The window is a safeguard if it stops on something I will be able to connect to it with VNC and see what's holding it up.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.