Hi Thorsten (@tve),
Going to continue our discussion here.
So my question is whether I will be able somehow to convert my current UI nodes some day to fit into the Flexdash concept. I don't say that this will ever be the case, because (as Nick mentioned here) it can evolve in multiple directions. But let's "assume" Flexdash becomes the next 'standard' Node-RED dashboard...
Reason for my question is that I have spend a ridiculous amount of free time to my UI nodes, and it would be a killer for my open-source motivation if I had to put everything into the garbage bin ... And I don't have enough free time to simply convert everthing from my old UI nodes to a full 100% Vue solution.
P.S. I don't want to start here discussion that some people don't like the UI node concept. Because I find it very sellfish to ban the UI node concept completely, for all other folks that like it. To say the least ...
The current UI nodes contain lots of configuration, which is developed like any other node. So it would be nice if we could find some way to migrate old UI nodes with a minimum of effort to Flexdash. That would be usefull for me and other UI contributors like e.g. @kevinGodell.
Let's take for example a look at the node-red-contrib-ui-svg. This node is used for all kind of use cases (floorplans, small production lines in companies, ...).
The configuration screen of that node offers a lot of functionality to the user:
- The DrawSvg editor is completely integrated, for people that are struggling to use third party SVG editors.
- Lots of things can be setup in this config page (animations, events, ...). Although all these things can be accomplished by injecting input messages, I have experienced it is is important to offer the basic functionality on the config screen (e.g. to help less technical skilled users).
For example you want to draw a circle, and when you click that circle an output message should appear:
- Left: As you can see almost everything is controllable via input messages.
- Middle: A lot of that functionality is available via the config screen.
- Right: an output message appears when the circle is being clicked.
I'm very curious to know whether some similar would be achievable in Flexdash. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but something like that.
As always, all "constructive" feedback from anyone is very welcome!!