MQTT Explorer v0.2.0 - MQTT swiss-army-knife

NR = Node red.
NR publishes and reads.
Devices are esp8266/Sonoff running espurna.

Just want to say 'thank you' for this excellent tool. It is exactly what I was looking for. I now can get rif of JAVA & MQTTspy!

Very useful! Thanks for sharing!

Version 0.2.6 is out

Get it on https://mqtt-explorer.com/

It has been too long since the last release.
Since then over 8000 lines of code have changed, a lot of things have improved.

• Add a pause function
  • Add light / dark themes
  • Add localized date formatting
  • Allow pinning self-signed-certificates
  • Allow copying values from the message history
  • Buffer changes while in pause mode
  • Improve layout
  • Improve numeric plot layout and smooth curves
  • Improve scroll behavior message history
  • Improve performance and memory footprint by ~30%
  • Improve text selection behavior (Ctrl+A) for value preview and history
  • Immediately apply changed settings
  • Fix memory leak on search and disconnect
  • Deactivate auto-update for Windows portable releases.
  • Fix OSX code-signing and auto-update
  • etc.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Excellent work

I like ability to switch off show activity as it can be a bit distracting :slight_smile:

Minor - suggest making these integers

Also - maybe some rounding here as well?

1 Like

Thanks for the fast feedback. Numbers should, of course, be rounded to their relevant precision :sweat_smile:. Added it to the github issues and will be in the release at the end of this month.

@thomasnordquist - on your site, the link for the mac .dmg is invalid - you have:
MQTT-Explorer-0.2.6-mac.zip
and
MQTT-Explorer-0.2.6.dmg.blockmap

1 Like

@zenofmud My bad... Github did change the URLs when I promoted the release from "pre-release" to "release". They work now.

1 Like

I'm seeing the below message about retained messages, but don't know where they have originated or their topic??
Can MQTT Explorer display that information, and delete the retained messages??

retain

Paul, if you select the count entry a delete button appears on the right:

1 Like

Yes, I've seen that, but I'd like to see the messages/topics before deleting them.
They are re-occuring, and despite not having any node-RED MQTT nodes with the retained flag set, I can't find where they originate.

If you subscribe with topic # then you will immediately get sent all retained topics.

I've already tried that, and nothing shows up.

Even deleting the messages from within MQTT Explorer (as Garry has suggested) but the message re-appear after a few seconds.

@thomasnordquist is the message an actual retained message or a system count of retained messages?

$SYS/broker/messages/retained/count is the total number of retained messages active on the broker. See link below. Since you believe they are not yours I wonder whether they are system ones, such as the count itself, which it says is retained.

Just checking, when you said you tried subscribing to # and nothing showed up I presume that eventually you did see the ongoing non-retained data.

Ah sorry Colin. I have written a flow which looks for retain: true in the MQTT messages, and alerted me if it found one. But never has...

Is that in received messages? It is not good enough to just look at published messages as a retained message might have been written months ago. The $SYS message that you say you are deleting is a system maintained one that presumably just puts itself back when it sees it gone.
Try the subscribe to # technique.

The flow that I described above, is fed via a MQTT node subscribed to #.

flow

Ok, in that case we are back to the possibility that they are system topics, such as the count itself. Is there a reason you are concerned about this or are you just trying to understand what is going on?