Mqtt-in repeated messages bug?

I see some weird behaviour with the mqtt-in node.

When I change the output to "a parsed JSON object" > deploy. inject something in mqtt-out node, i get a single response.
Change the output to "auto-detect" > deploy. inject something again, the messages are repeated.
Change it again to json, deploy, inject> triple messages output and so on.

If i select all nodes>ctrl-x, deploy, paste, deploy, single messages again.

I can reproduce it. Is this just me ?

0 Likes

This is really strange behaviour and it makes mqtt unusable for me.
Only the initial setup works, touch it and I am stuck with repeated messages until I remove the nodes, deploy and add them again.

@knolleary do I do something wrong or did I find a bug ?

0 Likes

Has the message been published with the retained flag set, meaning youll receive it each time the node subscribes?

0 Likes

No retain flag, I have cleared everything on the broker.
Looking at the subscription, only 1 message exists on the broker, gets repeated in node-red.

Test flow:

[{"id":"380b9424.fcc454","type":"mqtt in","z":"c0f7a95e.a66d08","name":"","topic":"test/testtopic","qos":"2","datatype":"auto","broker":"73843d1e.7f20dc","x":170,"y":160,"wires":[["a8b9efe1.03a4e"]]},{"id":"a75bc06d.f0bcd8","type":"mqtt out","z":"c0f7a95e.a66d08","name":"","topic":"test/testtopic","qos":"0","retain":"false","broker":"73843d1e.7f20dc","x":410,"y":260,"wires":[]},{"id":"a8b9efe1.03a4e","type":"debug","z":"c0f7a95e.a66d08","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","x":330,"y":160,"wires":[]},{"id":"cc1366c5.2d0998","type":"inject","z":"c0f7a95e.a66d08","name":"","topic":"","payload":"{\"test\":true}","payloadType":"json","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":180,"y":260,"wires":[["a75bc06d.f0bcd8"]]},{"id":"73843d1e.7f20dc","type":"mqtt-broker","z":"","name":"mqtt","broker":"10.0.0.202","port":"1883","clientid":"","usetls":false,"compatmode":true,"keepalive":"60","cleansession":true,"birthTopic":"","birthQos":"0","birthRetain":"false","birthPayload":"","closeTopic":"","closeQos":"0","closeRetain":"false","closePayload":"","willTopic":"","willQos":"0","willRetain":"false","willPayload":""}]

Inject, single response.
Change mqtt-in to parsed JSON object, deploy, inject, 2 messages.
Change it again to auto-detect, 3 messages.

0 Likes

I could swear that there was a thread in the not too long past that talked about a MQTT broker monitoring tool. But do you think I can find it...nooooo....drat's I thought I had it bookmarked.

Anyway If you can find it, it might shed some light on what the broker is doing.

In addition thei shread might help: Issues in persisting messages in MQTT Broker using NodeRed MQTT Nodes

0 Likes

I am using MQTT Explorer

1 Like

I experienced the same thing. Restarting Node Red helped also. The broker wasn't the source of evil.

0 Likes

Restarting works temporarily unfortunately

0 Likes

Hi @bakman2

I can't reproduce this with the flow you've provided. I always get the expected one message.

What broker are you using?

0 Likes

I am using eclipse mosquitto.

It starts repeating once I change something to the mqtt nodes.

0 Likes

I have also seen multiple MQTT messages. In the end I just used an RBE node to handle it.

Should have reported it but suspected it was something I done wrong or an MQTT thing at the time.

Fwiw, I was using the most excellent EMQX broker and node-red v0.20 beta something at the time.

0 Likes

Then it is not me and it is not the broker.

Using an RBE node is not a "solution", it will work, but I'm not a fan.

0 Likes

When I switch from a parsed JSON object to auto-detect I get 2 messages:

3/29/2019, 9:31:03 AMnode: 48a51ca2.2426a4
livingroom/fan/uptime : msg : Object
object
topic: "livingroom/fan/uptime"
payload: 3493
qos: 0
retain: false
_msgid: "5d655259.c8ae2c"

3/29/2019, 9:31:03 AMnode: 48a51ca2.2426a4
livingroom/fan/uptime : msg : Object
object
topic: "livingroom/fan/uptime"
payload: "3493"
qos: 0
retain: false
_msgid: "956c5dae.87137"

1x Payload as number
1x Payload as string.

I strongly suspect this is node-red.

0 Likes

I can now reproduce. The missing step to recreating was you had to do a 'modified nodes/flows' type of deploy, rather than full deploy.

0 Likes

That lines up with how I often work. I change a small thing and only deploy node changes (not flow not full).

Now you can recreate it, have you raised an issue or should one of us?

0 Likes

That is correct, my apologies. At least this explains the inconsistent behaviour on my end.

0 Likes

I have raised an issue #2119

I use some API's that are triggered when the flows are deployed, causing them to complain about too many requests - this is why I use the modified flows most of the time.

0 Likes