Multiple users, same online server

Hi, I know there are discussions about this, but I can't seem to figure out a really clear answer, so I'm hoping someone might help out with this. We love Node-RED, and we have been using it locally on a Pi, but now we want to be able to deploy it for multiple users that can see their individual dashboards online.

I have an Ubuntu online server and I need to set up Node-RED for multiple users on a single server. This would need to use a separate login for each user (and thus different ports?), with different flows for each user (i.e. multiple instances of Node-RED on the same server, with separate user logins). Is this possible?

From what I have read so far, there seems to be a two-sided issue, one being the visual design screen, the other being the dashboard issue. It seems we can have separate dashboards, IF we write special custom code, using a specific add-on. Is that correct?

Sorry if this seems like a repeat question, but I have not been able to get quite the understanding I need. Just to put this into a context, we have about 5 users with separate greenhouses that want their own individual system online, with a secure login.

Regards, AB

As you want separate users, separate dashboards, separate logins, separated ports - just run multiple instances on the one server.

This might help you get going (its a windows answer but easily translates to linux)...

Edit
command line info here

1 Like

Hi Steve, thanks for that, I will give it a try! I'm just glad to know it is in fact possible.

Cheers, AB

Steve, be careful with that. Port 1883 is the default Mqtt port much beloved around these parts, so any solution should try to avoid that as at some point it will get suggested as the answer to a question.

True. I should have skipped 1883 in the example (note to self - edit that post)

Hi, that's a good point, I have noted it. I have also been studying the 'global vs local' issue before I get started, and I found this article to be very helpful in developing the best strategy:

http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/managing-node-red-projects/

So far I have created an Ubuntu server at Digital Ocean, and running multiple instances of Node-RED seems complicated, but 'doable'. I would be interested to hear if anyone has had success with this.

Tks, AB

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.