No debug output in side-bar. Tried lots, stuck, please help

I would perhaps try disabling large parts of your flows (use an empty function node as a NOP)

See if debug messages start appearing.

Other questions...

• where is node-red running in relation to the browser
    • across an internet connection? LAN? same computer?
  • what is node-red running on
    • PI?
    • Server?
    • Docker?
  • what is the processor of the node-red showing
    • maxed out?
  • what is the processor of the computer running the browser showing
    • maxed out?

Disabling large parts
I tried disabling large parts, even deleting them thinking that maybe disabled is not enough. For example I had a flow only with past tests to understand nodes, I deleted all those. It's now much less than it was when it was working.

where is node-red running in relation to the browser
Same computer, but it can be edited through LAN from another PC, same no-debug output.

what is node-red running on
Server.

what is the processor of the node-red showing

what is the processor of the computer running the browser showing
^

I'd add that no new node types were installed either when debugging stopped working.

And Terminal/Console debugging does work, only inside the editor it doesn't.

Do you mean that with a debug node outputting to the debug pane and the console, that the messages appear in the console but not the editor?

If you check the browser console in dev tools when the editor is open, do you see the browser complaining about websocket communication? E.g.:

GET wss://yourdomain.whatever/comms[HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found 58ms]

I am having a similar issue. It may be quite different than issues seen here as my flow stops working when adding in debug nodes. I have 3 existing debug nodes in the flow that work fine. When I add any more the flow stops and there is no debug outputs in the side bar. I can inject a timestamp into the debug nodes and they work. But rest of the flow doesn't work.

One thing I have found playing with it is, I add the 4th and 5th debug nodes and disable them. Then deploy full flow. Then enable the 4th and 5th debug nodes and the entire flow including all debug nodes starts to function fully.

If I deploy 4th and/or 5th node enabled first, then nothing works.

Actually, in setting up the flow for updating this thread I see something new again. The flow works deploying it with all the debug nodes enabled, when there is an inject node present as shown in following picture. Hope this helps.

I am new user and limited to 3 replies. So this will be the last I can post until then.

the messages appear in the console but not the editor?

Yes! :slight_smile: With every type of output checked, they appear only in console, not in the editor. However, a few hours later they show up in Editor too.

do you see the browser complaining about websocket communication?

No...
I don't think that is related, can it be?

One of my node-red also won't show the debug tab, but will output to the console log file. Strange.

My console just started working. But everything in global context was lost. So it seems to have been related to context somehow. I am very sorry I can not tell you a solution, as I don't know why this happened, but this information might help developers in some way maybe.

So if you have this problem, try cleaning up everything in your global variables.

1 Like

Same issue trying simple hello world on node red on my safari browser hut there's no output in debut window , it's balnk

Hi & welcome to the forum.

When you say you have "Same issue trying simple hello world" - that means you are running on IBM Cloud, use Firefox Browser & having intermittent issues - like in the post you replied to?

Have you read through the whole thread?

• checking browsers developer tools for errors
  • disabling any ad blockers/AV on computer / browser
  • etc
  • etc

there are several suggestions - have you tried them?

Lastly, you dont say what versions of nodejs, node-red etc.

For all newbies like: Maybe you missed one sentence in one step in the tutorial.

In Creating your first flow : Node-RED step 5 says that one should deploy and also says "click the Inject button". I missed that text, and also, as a newbie I didn't know what "clicking the inject button" means.

It means pressing this button means pressing the little square next to the inject node:

Screenshot_20220903_210316

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @jarl

I recommend watching this playlist: Node-RED Essentials. The videos are done by the developers of node-red. They're nice & short and to the point. You will understand a whole lot in about 1 hour.

This seems to be the thread about mysterious stuff not working :joy:

Reading through, what I can recommend is:

• restart node-red and capture the log output, paste it here verbatim uncut
  • open the flow editor in the web browser, then open the devtools (F12)
  • ensure the debug node's button is on (dark green), hit the inject node's button
  • check in the browser devtools "console" tab for any errors, post the entire contents here
  • check in the browser devtools "network" tab for anything that doesn't have a 200 or 304 status

Someone asked about what the websocket protocol looks like. The answer is that it's HTTP (!). The browser sends and HTTP request that has an "upgrade" header, the server responds with an HTTP response, and then the socket is used bidirectionally for websocket messages. So it kind'a looks like a very long running HTTP request with packets going back and forth.

One unfortunate thing is that browsers provide virtually no error information about a websocket. The app is lucky if it gets an error at all, but there's no error code, no error message. This makes it quite difficult to distinguish "something insignificant happened, just retry" from "there is an error, tell the user now" and all one can say is "there is an error" which is not very actionable from a user point of view...

1 Like

Thanks for the link. The fact that there is a introduction video does not speak against improving the tutorial. In fact, I already tried to "fix" it: Separate step 5 of first tutorial into two steps for clarity by jarlebring · Pull Request #291 · node-red/node-red.github.io · GitHub

Indeed. I was not suggesting otherwise.