🎉 Node-RED 3.0.0-beta.1 released

I felt guilty & spared some play time to fit this in...

Not guaranteed to be in final v3 since beta is out but its there waiting in the wings.

1 Like

Either way, it's a big step forward.
Thanks, Steve

OK - updated my working instance on a Pi4 - lets see what I can do with the new junction nodes instead of present way with null function nodes

[Edit] Modified flow (took one existing function node out all together but otherwise identical)

As discussed by others, only being able to add wires to the junction not from it, is a restriction (which I can live with)

Not being able to use shift modifier to move a wire from a junction was more of a restriction I felt

My suggestion would be to make the junction actually two nodes (in and out) next/close to each other

But we'd need an alternate beta being produced to try it out

As usual, had to stop my broswer (Vivaldi) from interpreting the shift-right-click_and-drag and let NR have it :slight_smile:

What would be VERY nice would be a method of doing a global search and replace on dummy function/change nodes with junction nodes :slight_smile:

Maybe possible with text editor (or a running a little script) on flows.json???

Keep in mind this forum post is about the beta - it doesn't replace posting to #development:feature-requests with ideas that could be considered for the future.

Well, having a native way of putting a junction-type node into place is an enhancement in it own right (not having to edit the function node to change it to an icon)

A closely coupled junction node would be less visually cluttering (and allow for finer wire routing) than the current icon sized method.

But as you say, a single junction node would be less cluttering again.

If the editing restrictions on a single junction prove to be insurmountable, then maybe a closely-coupled pair will be needed

I considered suggesting showing a dot as the junction is now but with a slightly larger circle or horizontal oval revealed on mouse-over.

Click on the dot to drag and move, on the outer circle to start a wire.

But I decided the suggestion would be stomped on, or worse, I'd be invited to write the code!

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Awesome new change, but... how can we reset the counter?

1 Like

Unfortunately, that was not added - please add a feature request thread to Feature Requests

I am a rookie in this forum, but I hope I have done it well:

2 Likes

The instance I changed yesterday to the beta failed early this morning :frowning:

FYI this has never happened before so either a big coincidence or something up

That's an uncaught exception coming from inside the contrib-better-sftp node - hard to see how the beta would be responsible.

I think you may be right -just a big coincidence.

I'm suspecting that a Cheerlights flame war was in progress and that my remote server couldn't cope with the traffic maybe???

I was already filtering one of the wassocks out so I'll add the other one to my filter list :slight_smile:

My first new use of the junction node to manually re-direct a wire path - very nice :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sorry if I missed this but you can no longer rename a tab.

Beta:

Live:

2 Likes

Its been found and fixed Julian ...

1 Like

Just experienced a glitch in the matrix

I'd added in a junction node in a link call flow and then noticed I was getting "timeout" error messages in the debug sidebar when it was being called

All looked fine visually, added debugging nodes - found that it wasn't getting out of the 1s delay node but couldn't work out why

Restarted NR - no diff- refreshed browser and the wire was missing from the junction node to the delay node

Re-added it and it is fine again

You wired backwards from 1s timer to the junction.

This is a known issue in beta 1 - fixed in master (beta 2 next week)

2 Likes

I thought - well that's strange since I've been doing this in other flows and not noticed

And then when I've gone back to the other flows - I've noticed none of my unused debug nodes are attached!