🎉 Node-RED 3.0 Released

Agreed, it's 92. Seems Debian is slow to update on the Pi. I should check for the 64bit Linux to see if that has a later version.

Thanks good information.

Very pleased to see the Monaco editor at work in my flows. I know that it's been available for sometime, but I was slow to adopt it. Of course it is the default with 3.0, so I decided to give it a go. I have some very extensive function blocks and I'm delighted that all of my syntax plays very nice with Monaco. It's a good user experience!

Thanks Team!

1 Like

Upgraded, Installed Node-RED 3.0.0... :frowning_face:

It gets stuck here. I blocked out my info in the path. I did a classic global install on my system running 2.?? (last 2.? install version) Windows 10 Node

Log entry
1195 verbose stack Error: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, copyfile
'C:\Users\blah.blahblah\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-red\node_modules\bcrypt\lib\binding\napi-v3\bcrypt_lib.node' ->
'C:\Users\blah.blahblah\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules.node-red-hGBPYeBB\node_modules\bcrypt\lib\binding\napi-v3\bcrypt_lib.node'

1205 error errno -4082

Try npm cache clean
and also running npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red
from Command prompt as administrator instead of Powershell

ps. did you stop NR before running the upgrade ?

OOPS!. I HAD it running as a service. Thanks. A little "stop and think about what your doing" goes a long way.

Thanks for that fix. I'll try it when I can get to it later tomorrow.

Kind Thanks!

1 Like

Issue solved with release 3.0.1. Thank you!

Issue solved with release 3.0.1 . Thank you!

TBH @rei_vilo and @sanyafifa - I was personally in 2 minds on whether to "fix" this one - I guess you did not update your browsers!

From the web...

According to Google's blog post announcing Chrome 93, the latest version of the web browser fixed 27 security flaws, and five of those flaws carried a “high” risk ranking .

And Chrome(ium) 93 is not even the latest - current version is 103 (11 whole revisions newer!)

I hope you dont use them online :stuck_out_tongue:

Let's Please remember that some people may be using node-red on old iPads so may not be connected to the Internet but still need to use older versions of browsers.

1 Like

Also the FireFox ESR release which many people will be using. Doesn't have all the latest features, but does get regular security fixes. It was discovering we were broken on that which urged me to get 3.0.1 released sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Valid points guys.

I am constantly updating raspbian os. The new version of chrome is not in the repository. And I use a firewall :slight_smile:

I realise this is off topic but this thread is dead anyway. So the firewall isn't going to protect you from all the browser exploits that exist from version 92 through to 102.

Also, It seems you are using the PI browser for editing your node red. In case you don't know, you can access the node red editor from any browser on any computer on your local network. An added bonus - it is MUCH faster using an external computer to edit node red.

1 Like

Just to add to this discussion over using old browsers

I use my main PC browser for everything other than editing Node-RED

I have a Pi4 and I VNC into that and use its browser to edit all my NR instances running on several Pi on my LAN

The Pi is running Buster so the browser is quite old

So I appreciate any efforts to keep it working :slight_smile:

I don't upgrade running systems unless I have to :slight_smile:

Simon, why do you VNC into the pi? You should be able to use the browser on you main machine to get to NR running on the pi.

As you can see - I've quite a few NR tabs open on the Pi so I just leave them all open over there and not have them cluttering up my main PC browser - which is bad enough without having all of them as well :slight_smile:

#ShareAndEnjoy

The only NR editor I have open on my PC is the one for editing the test instance running on itself

1 Like

While we are going rather off-topic now, I use Edge on the PC for all NR stuff. It has both named windows and named tab groups as well as tab sleeping. So you can keep your remote nr tabs in a group and let them sleep until you actually use them. Or simply add them all to a bookmark folder and open them all together in a new window when required.

VNC and running a remote desktop on a Pi really impacts performance. Both of the pi itself and the overheads of using a remote desktop.

1 Like

Version 3.0 works fine on my Raspberry Pi4.
The new node junction is cool ...
Thank you ....

Ooops, messed that up
Added notes, Firefox on Linux Debian x86 (91.12.0esr) fails -> TypeError: Object.hasOwn is not a function.

Google Chrome, Linux Debian x86, (104.0.5112.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)) works

Hi @ncherry

We've since published Node-RED 3.0.1 (and 3.0.2) which fixes the hasOwn issue.