🎉 Node-RED 3.0 Released

Its me the annoying guy :slight_smile:
Update from Node.js V14.20.0 to v16.16.0 (all V15.0.0+) leads to an NR crash while startup:

15 Jul 01:15:16 - [trace] [subflow:2b33b89b.dfeef8] ------------------|--------------|-----------------
15 Jul 01:15:16 - [trace] [subflow:2b33b89b.dfeef8]  65923e5b0e26a995 | debug        | 6c357cd9.381074
nodered.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
nodered.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
nodered.service: Service RestartSec=20s expired, scheduling restart.
nodered.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Stopped Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
Started Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
Suppressed 11809 messages from nodered.service
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [trace] git["--version"]
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [trace] git["config","--global","user.name"]
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [trace] git["config","--global","user.email"]
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [trace] git init: {"version":"2.20.1"}
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [info]
Welcome to Node-RED
===================
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [info] Node-RED version: v3.0.0
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [info] Node.js  version: v16.16.0
15 Jul 01:15:57 - [info] Linux 5.10.103-v7l+ arm LE
15 Jul 01:15:58 - [info] Loading palette nodes

log-16.log (2.8 MB)

Yes, you could.

If yuo do a major upgrade of node.js, be sure to do:

cd ~/.node-red
npm rebuild

Dumb question: In the video the junction is show being added with some form of drag selection much like the alt+mouse cuts the wires. How is that being done? I've tried every button+mouse combination I can think of and there is no hints in the context menu that I can see.

It's in the blog post (link in first post)...

You can also insert a Junction into an existing wire by slicing through it with the mouse by holding alt-shift when dragging across the wire. Note that some OS might use that same combination to move the active window, so this won’t work there

Huh I missed that in the blog post. Although I tried that and it didn't work, so I just gave another profile in Firefox a go and now it works. Must be some setting I changed somewhere. Thanks

How did you do the upgrade and did you rebuild all the native modules after the upgrade?

Had you explicitly cleared the browser cache (via the browser menus)?

AMAZING work, kudos! I've upgraded to nodered v3. It was a super smooth upgrade, no broken functionality, all the integrations (even their private states) smoothly rolled over! Thanks a lot!

Only two minor things:

1. The UI is broken on latest Safari. It works well on Chrome & Firefox. Doesn't look any functional issue, only CSS. I'm happy to use it on Chrome. Edit: Of course, I did everything on Safari (cleared cache, site settings, local data/storage, private window) but it was the same.

1. I use a node called node-red-contrib-speedtest. The Flow library has an older version v1.0.1, but the latest version is v1.1.0 in NPM. I had npm installed it and in Node Red v2 the flow worked fine with the latest npm version. But in Node Red v3, it fails to start, and it shows "The flow uses an unsupported node node-red-contrib-speedtest". I had to downgrade in order to start the flow. I hope this is not a problem with any manually installed nodes on v3. I hope this issue is just with that one node-red-contrib-speedtest node.

Given such a big v3 upgrade, I'm really happy everything was so smooth! Amazing work, thank you a lot for NodeRed!

1 Like

Could you look in safaris console and see if there are any errors please?

Can anyone else test this (I dont have apple!) - UPDATE - @zenofmud has shown node-red V3.0.0 works in safari (v15.4 anyhow)

I have requested a refresh.

Check the palette manager again in around 30 mins,

Working fine for me,
mac Mini (M1, 2020)
macOS Monterey
Safari v15.4

2 Likes

Great thanks a lot! (am running Safari v15.3 macOS Monterey as well). I checked in private browsing window, so it's probably not any extension. Let me check out console and everything else I can and will let you know.

after updating on my raspbian pi4 i see this. how can i help?

cd ~/.node-red
npm rebuild

spawned errors with microsoft-cognitiveservices-speech-sdk ...I could not t fix
but after "npm prune" and update to node Js V16.16.0 it worked.
Classic case of this:

2 Likes

Hi @sanyafifa

Can you try disabling the theme you are running, restart node-red & refresh the browser.

Also, please identify the browser and its version.

And lastly, check the browsers console - are there any errors?

hi @Steve-Mcl
Chromium Version 92.0.4515.98 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 10 (32-bit)

First things first, Thet browser is over 1 year old (in computing and internet related terms, it's ancient and probably dangerous).

Secondly, do you not have a computer on your local network with a newer browser that you can try out?

Lastly, did you disable the theme as I requested?

I had this after the update to V3.0.0 while using Ungoogle-Chromium (V91.xxx and V95.xxx).

Now using Ungoogled-Chromium V103.0.5060.114 through SNAP on Ubuntu 20.04, all is now OK

Great Progress in Version 3! Super job! Like it!
Many thanks to the development team.

Will v3.0.0 be able to retain the Configuration Context of subflow nodes? I have subflow nodes which have mqtt in and mqtt out nodes in them. The configuration consists of defined brokers and their ports. However, previous experience suggest that once these subflows are added as nodes in the package.json file and loaded in to the editor, these subflows do not recognize the configuration (of the broker) in them.