🎉 Node-RED 3.0 Released

I realise this is off topic but this thread is dead anyway. So the firewall isn't going to protect you from all the browser exploits that exist from version 92 through to 102.

Also, It seems you are using the PI browser for editing your node red. In case you don't know, you can access the node red editor from any browser on any computer on your local network. An added bonus - it is MUCH faster using an external computer to edit node red.

1 Like

Just to add to this discussion over using old browsers

I use my main PC browser for everything other than editing Node-RED

I have a Pi4 and I VNC into that and use its browser to edit all my NR instances running on several Pi on my LAN

The Pi is running Buster so the browser is quite old

So I appreciate any efforts to keep it working :slight_smile:

I don't upgrade running systems unless I have to :slight_smile:

Simon, why do you VNC into the pi? You should be able to use the browser on you main machine to get to NR running on the pi.

As you can see - I've quite a few NR tabs open on the Pi so I just leave them all open over there and not have them cluttering up my main PC browser - which is bad enough without having all of them as well :slight_smile:

#ShareAndEnjoy

The only NR editor I have open on my PC is the one for editing the test instance running on itself

1 Like

While we are going rather off-topic now, I use Edge on the PC for all NR stuff. It has both named windows and named tab groups as well as tab sleeping. So you can keep your remote nr tabs in a group and let them sleep until you actually use them. Or simply add them all to a bookmark folder and open them all together in a new window when required.

VNC and running a remote desktop on a Pi really impacts performance. Both of the pi itself and the overheads of using a remote desktop.

1 Like

Version 3.0 works fine on my Raspberry Pi4.
The new node junction is cool ...
Thank you ....

Ooops, messed that up
Added notes, Firefox on Linux Debian x86 (91.12.0esr) fails -> TypeError: Object.hasOwn is not a function.

Google Chrome, Linux Debian x86, (104.0.5112.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)) works

Hi @ncherry

We've since published Node-RED 3.0.1 (and 3.0.2) which fixes the hasOwn issue.

Oh, thanks. Let me check thought I upgraded but I've bee wrong (more than once ;-)).

I noticed that doubleclicking nodes cause the browser to "select all text", it happens very quickly and when dialog is opened the text will be unselected but it doesn't look good.

v3.0.2
safari 15.5

Try to update Safari to version 15.6

done, no difference unfortunately.

Maybe switch to a "proper" browser instead of Apple's brain-dead one? :rofl:

Or maybe it isn't related to that because I occasionally get that too on Windows. But not all the time. It happens on other sites too very occasionally so I don't think it is specific to node-red.

1 Like

I am using Chrome on Mac, but for curiosity I have just tried Safari ( 15.6 (17613.3.9.1.5)). No problems at all. (NR v. 3.0.2)

I dont know what is causing this, i can replicate more easily when i use a group, because it requires additional clicks

Now the selection remains active and i actually have to click in the "filter nodes" field to deselect the selection.

I have fallen back from 3.0.2 to 3.0.1 to 3.0.0 to 3.0.0-beta.1 to 2.2.3

This behaviour was introduced in 3.0.0-beta.1
In 2.2.3 there is no issue.

I tried to compare the git diff with tags, but that isn't so easy.
I suspect it was introduced because of the junction node and/or the focus/mousedown/up behavior, but I don't have evidence for this statement.

The behavior also causes a slowdown in rendering (because it first selects the text/elements and then deselects it after which the dialog is opened).

After adding the `inject' node and making it a group I see what you mean.
before clicking:

after double click

However it does not occur in Chrome or FireFox so it looks like a Safari issue :pensive:

Safari is starting to look like the new internet explorer I'm afraid

Or Safari actually handles the code correctly exposing this issue, which did not exist in 2.2.3

safari quirks are all over the place in web dev - it is a known thing!

That said, I am not against the possibility an issue does exist and safari is less forgiving.

Quick experiment: With a node in a group...

1. Click the whitespace (to deselect all nodes)
  2. Click the node inside the group & pause 1 sec or more
    • The group should be now selected.
  3. double click the node

What happens?

Quick experiment 2: With a node in a group...

1. Click the whitespace (to deselect all nodes)
  2. Hover over the node inside the group
  3. triple click the node

What happens?

1 Like