Node Red Aedes External Devices not connecting

Hello All, If there is a better place to post this question. Please let me know.. Still new to the Node-Red community.

I have used Mosquitto MQTT Broker on the Pi and just switched over to using Docker and trying to learn something new. I thought it would be easier to have a MQTT broker in Node Red. Less to maintain and all in one platform.

The issue I am having is getting other devices on my network to connect to it. Is Node-Red-Contrib-Aedes a full MQTT Broker that can be used similar to Mosquitto? If so I would appreciate any pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue.

I do have the Broker running and the Local Nodes connected.

Thank you all for your time.

What did you have to "maintain" with Mosquitto that made you switch to docker ?

Docker will add a layer of complexity that in the end does not solve anything, especially on a Pi (for which there is fantastic support for Node-red).

You found your first roadblock. You need to add a port mapping to the docker container, your devices are connecting to an ip + port, which is not configured on your container, add the mapping, restart the container.

Note that when node-red is down, the broker will be down too, and certain node-red nodes require compiling parts of their packages, there is no compiler available in the container and you won't be installing those nodes easily.

I would suggest to run the applications natively without the need for containers (you can still install the mqtt broker inside node-red ofcourse).

yes. i have been used Node-Red-Contrib-Aedes with 0 issues.

HI bakman2, Thank you for your reply. Honestly I just wanted to understand what all the hype was about with Docker. I have much to learn with this stuff and everything new thing I try I get a little further. Can you please give me you point of view on Docker and when/if it should be considered to be used?

I am OK with node-red and the MQTT Broker being tied at the hip, as everything I am doing right now requires both.

Can you teach me a little on what the compiler does for nodes so I can commit that one to memory.

Thank you again for for your time.

This was the video I referenced. I thought the idea was pretty cool. Primarily I will use MQTT and Node Red. I wanted to dabble in Grafana.

Can you give some pointers on why not to do it this way?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.