Node-red-contrib-lcd20x4-i2c orange pi zero info

Hi all this is just a note for every one which may encounters this problem. even so it is quite a simple problem it took me some time to work this out.

I have a cheap 4 x 20 LCD around $8 which I connected to my orange Pi zero H2.
I' use Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.45-sunxi. Here are a couple of tips how to make this work.

1. use the armbian-config and enable the I2C - 1 option (not 0)
  2. connect your LCD onto PA19 TWI SDA and PA18 TWI SCK, the reason is that all the nodes are setup to be used with the raspberry pi and this uses I2C bus 1.
  3. install the I2C-tools, sudo apt-get install -y i2c - tools
  4. From the command line run sudo i2cdetect -y 1 this will give you an output showing the address your chip is using. Note: there are 2 type of I2C chip sets out there one used: this is for the PCF8574 or PCF8574AT

As a side note, the pins for the Orange Pi zero are 3.3V and the output from the display is 5V. There are different opinion on using level shifter which reduce the output to 3.3 V. I have not used the level shifter and it works fine, however I have ordered some, maybe over time it will do some damage.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.