Node-red-contrib-smb2 Getting stuck

hello all,

does anyone experiencing the same problem i have with the node-red-contrib-smb2 node?

The node works well, after 10 to 15mins, doesn't work at all untill you do a Full Deploy then it works alright again.... and repeat.

when it gets stuck you will see the blue icon with the "Process" but produces no output untill you do Full depoly.

i tried going on Git to report a bug for the node but i could not figure out how.

any one to share their experience here???

Moved out of Developing Nodes, as your not developing nodes

As for your problem, someone may use that node and can advise (I don't use it myself)

Because the author does not allow bugs to be raised.
tryjsky/node-red-contrib-smb2: Node of Node-RED for SMB Protocol. (github.com)

Please open an issue on the page of the project on GitHub

i can't... as Marcus pointed out it seems the author did not allow "issue" reporting

Apologies, I didn't actually follow the link. Had I done so, I'd realise that it doesn't go anywhere!!

I think that you will have to mark the node as a 1-star in the flows site and find a different approach.

1 Like

Looks like all of the SMB related nodes have serious issues. I've just gone through and marked them all as 1-start. I don't think any of them should be used.

Most people configure their server OS to access the file shares instead.

Someone has had their Weetabix today :smiley:

3 Likes

More like a boring Friday and I'm sat on a call that nobody else has bothered to turn up to!! :grinning:

1 Like

that's a shame...

the node does seem to work, but the authentication part seems to times out

what about the work around of "restarting the flow" before using the SMB2 node, that seems to work when i do it manually.

so is there a way to trigger a flow restart?

You generally don't really "start" a flow unless you have some kind of timed or manual trigger. Flows run while Node-RED is running. So you would probably have to restart node-red.

Not worth it. Do it properly by changing the filing system on the OS so that it has access - if you can. In your case, looks like you are using Windows. So another alternative would be a call via a PowerShell script to open the remote share.

My file share is on windows yes,
but my node-red is in a container that i don't have access to the OS or anything on it.

You do have a number of other potential options. For example, Windows now includes OpenSSH and so you could use an SCP connection to manage files:

Get started with OpenSSH for Windows | Microsoft Learn

that's way too much for me :slight_smile:

first i have no idea if my SSH client "which is on node-red" can then be used to collect the files, as the documentation says ssh client is a windows machine.. which is not my case...... that would be too much for me to learn without even knowing if it will work at the end.

on the other hand, creating a shared folder on the windows host is really easy and straight fwd, so i only wish there is an easy way for node-red "running on a black-box type of OS for me" to consume that share folder without all the complications.

OpenSSH is available on Windows (and WSL), Linux and Mac. It incorporates both the SSH terminal and SCP file management protocols. So any of those can be a server and/or a client.

Another common protocol is NFS which is also available on Windows, Linux and Mac. It's performance is pretty low though.

Yes, and it is also pretty easy for your container to be configured with SAMBA (assuming it is Linux based) which will give you filing system connectivity at the OS level - which is how most of us do it.

do you have an example to use on Node-red so that after i enable SSH on my windows server that is supposed to share the file... an example of how to connect . consume the file from node-red would be helpful & appreciated :slight_smile:

Do you need to use Docker? It can make life difficult.

I'm afraid that I can't do that right now on my only active Windows device, however, Microsoft generally have good documentation:

OpenSSH Server configuration for Windows | Microsoft Learn

if you ever get the chance to provide a sample flow showing this i would be super grateful!!!!

Hope this helps future community memebrs.

as an alternative to using the SMB / SMBv2 node, the following example shows how to read a shared network file via SSH using this package: @arcsoft/node-red-sshtools

[
    {
        "id": "7728cfd563975489",
        "type": "sshread",
        "z": "1d378cd62ce1c8b4",
        "name": "",
        "sshccfg": "",
        "filename": "//DESKTOP-DG3S7T8/temp/1.txt",
        "format": "utf8",
        "encoding": "none",
        "allProps": false,
        "chunk": false,
        "sendError": false,
        "x": 520,
        "y": 240,
        "wires": [
            [
                "e5f4a9b2714fda81"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "4edd9066f801b68e",
        "type": "inject",
        "name": "",
        "props": [
            {
                "p": "payload"
            },
            {
                "p": "topic",
                "vt": "str"
            }
        ],
        "repeat": "",
        "crontab": "",
        "once": false,
        "onceDelay": 0.1,
        "topic": "",
        "payload": "",
        "payloadType": "date",
        "x": 180,
        "wires": [
            [
                "7728cfd563975489"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "e5f4a9b2714fda81",
        "type": "debug",
        "name": "debug 15",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "false",
        "statusVal": "",
        "statusType": "auto",
        "x": 900,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "4fe0fa74146e9e52",
        "type": "comment",
        "name": "tips",
        "info": "enable SSH on host\n\nShare a folder with a windows user\n\nuse the windows user in the configuration of the SSH node\n\nread file from the shared host\n\nNote:\nwas not working untill i manually started \"sshBroker\" windows service on host machine",
        "x": 430,
        "y": 200,
        "wires": []
    }
]

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.