Node Red Crashes on Dropdown Menu Selection?

Hi all. Got a stumper here. I have been running my flows on a server for some time and using node red as a data collection tool. This is running on an older version of Node-Red, but i figured everything would come over ok in the newest release.

I am getting an error when trying to use the dropdown node. Node red will crash when i try to select one of the two options i am passing (from a change node). The options are ( from a select statement)

SELECT id FROM Grows : msg.payload : array[2]

array[2]

0: object

id: 55

1: object

id: 1

1 and 55 are displayed, but as soon as I select them node red crashes with the following:

18 Jan 23:29:32 - [red] Uncaught Exception:
18 Jan 23:29:32 - [error] TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined
at Object.convertBack (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-dashboard/nodes/ui_dropdown.js:145:84)
at EventEmitter.handler (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-dashboard/ui.js:280:29)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:412:35)
at Socket.emit (events.js:400:28)
at Socket.emitUntyped (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/socket.io/dist/typed-events.js:69:22)
at /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/socket.io/dist/socket.js:466:39
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:77:11)
nodered.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Flows are below:
flows.json (3.7 KB)

This looks like a bug to me because it worked in an old version? Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like it's related to this bug:

It should be fixed with the next release of the Dashboard package.

Yep. This is the same issue. Thanks for linking this! I'll post my flow there as well. Wish I was better at JS, i'd love to help fix this. Node-Red has been really useful to me.

1 Like

Since the issue has already been closed, I guess it's fixed. So there's no need to post your flow there. :wink:

Yeah I see the commit here for the 3.1.5 release:

What is the usual lag time before this can be updated with npm?

usually fairly short - but someone else mentioned another bug in dropdown and hasn't posted a way to repeat it so I'm waiting on that in case I can fix both, rather than do two releases.
If you want you can always install direct from git using

cd ~/.node-red
npm i node-red/node-red-dashboard

For some reason this is hanging when I try to install this (This is how i orignally installed the package):
pi@ABDC01 : ~/.node-red $ npm i node-red/node-red-dashboard

[..................] | rollbackFailedOptional: verb npm-session cbb1a380470aeb6a
It just hangs at the above line.

I uninstalled the package before doing this to see if that was the root cause, it was not.
Any ideas? This is on a Pi Zero so i get why its somewhat slow, but it should complete in at least 5 minutes.

Hmm. I have seen it take ages from GitHub. Must admit yarn is a lot faster than npm.

On a Zero it might take a very long time when installing direct from git. I don't think it has been determined why that is the case. Give it a few hours before giving up. If you run top in another terminal you can see that it is still doing things.

It did eventually try to install but eventually failed with this error:

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! System Linux 5.10.63+

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/home/pi/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-67b8b295/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild" "--verbose" "--libsass_ext=" "--libsass_cflags=" "--libsass_ldflags=" "--libsass_library="

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-67b8b295/node_modules/node-sass

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! node -v v14.18.1

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0

npm ERR! prepareGitDep gyp ERR! not ok

npm ERR! prepareGitDep Build failed with error code: 1

Im going to be out of town until Monday but will try again then if the package hasn't been pushed to the official node-red repo yet

Dashboard v3.1.5 now released

2 Likes

This fixed my issue! Thanks so much for the work on this module.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.