Node-RED must be restarted to enable upgraded modules

Hi, I tried to update a module but it doesn't and display this, I tried to typ in console node-red-stop, node-red,start dut it didn't help, then I did a sudo restart and it worked.
How to restart then Node red without reboot? Thank you

depends what you are running Node-Red on and how you installed it.

I installed it as you suggested, without root,
I used the command line to start it up automatically after reboot as you suggested.
Thank you for help

I’m sorry I can’t remember ever suggesting to you how you should install Node-RED.
Or suggesting a command line to start Node-RED automatically.

Is this on a Raspberry Pi?
Do you mean the Instructions on the website? If so that isn’t me, I’m not that clever! I’m just a long term user of Node-RED who answer questions on the forum when I can.

Yes the instruction on the site, yes Raspberry )

What output do you get when you run node-red-stop?

and node-red-start (not node-red,start )

Mates I don't create subflows, I'm a newbie and I'm using modules in the main flow only, I suppose it is something created by a module itself..

here it is: (i tried to remove // from links

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node-red-stop

Stop Node-RED

Use node-red-start to start Node-RED again

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node-red-start

Start Node-RED

Once Node-RED has started, point a browser at http: 192.168.1.251:1880
On Pi Node-RED works better with the Firefox or Chrome browser

Use node-red-stop to stop Node-RED
Use node-red-start to start Node-RED again
Use node-red-log to view the recent log output
Use sudo systemctl enable nodered.service to autostart Node-RED at every boot
Use sudo systemctl disable nodered.service to disable autostart on boot

To find more nodes and example flows - go to http://flows.nodered.org

Starting as a systemd service.
Started Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
6 Feb 19:54:29 - [info]
Welcome to Node-RED

6 Feb 19:54:29 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.19.5
6 Feb 19:54:29 - [info] Node.js version: v10.15.0
6 Feb 19:54:29 - [info] Linux 4.14.79-v7+ arm LE
6 Feb 19:54:30 - [info] Loading palette nodes
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] Dashboard version 2.13.0 started at /ui
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] Settings file : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] Flows file : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_raspberrypi.json
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [info] Server now running at http: 127.0.0.1:1880/
6 Feb 19:54:40 - [warn]

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.
If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.
You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

6 Feb 19:54:41 - [info] Starting flows
pi : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/pi ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/python -u /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-lcd20x4-i2c/LCD20x4-I2C/lcd20x4_i2c.py writelcd 20x4 2
pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
6 Feb 19:54:42 - [info] [mosca in:50deaca8.77738c] Binding mosca mqtt server on port: 1883
6 Feb 19:54:42 - [info] [tcp out:Dimmer WiFi Bridge] connecting to 192.168.1.254:8899
6 Feb 19:54:42 - [info] [tcp out:Denon Amplificatore] connecting to 192.168.1.252:23
6 Feb 19:54:43 - [info] Started flows
6 Feb 19:54:43 - [info] [mqtt-broker:mqtt] Connection failed to broker: mqtt://192.168.1.251:1883
6 Feb 19:54:43 - [info] [tcp out:Dimmer WiFi Bridge] connected to 192.168.1.254:8899
6 Feb 19:54:43 - [info] [tcp out:Denon Amplificatore] connected to 192.168.1.252:23
6 Feb 19:54:58 - [info] [mqtt-broker:mqtt] Connected to broker: mqtt: 192.168.1.251:1883

As you can see, the node node-red-contrib-lcd20x4-i2c is showing an error. Did you follow the instructions for installing it in the readme?

[Edit] Actually I am not sure that is an error, it may just be informational. So what exactly is the problem that you are seeing?

Thank you for your help, anyway here I'm trying to figure how I can upgrade modules without a sudo reboot. node-red-stop and node-red-start are not enough. Thank you

Well, yes they are enough. They stop the node-red process and restart it. That is all that is needed.

Did you reload the editor after restarting node-red?

Yes I did, and it keep say me that for upgrade neds to restart. I solved the problem only after sudo reboot.
I suppose there is a service installed, which is not killing itself and reload, it keeps worjing and it just stop execute something (for example flow) but it is not killed. I suppose, the only answer why it needed reboot..

Where is it saying that? That suggests you have upgraded or installed some system related software.

I wrote m that to upgrade modules I need to restart Node Red. Pity I haven't made a photo (
stop and restart didn't help. It helped sudo reboot.
Any chance to restart node red as it asked without reboot?
Thank you

@Barabba11

Yes, as we have said many times, node-red-stop and node-red-start is what is needed. Those are the commands to stop and restart the node-red service. The flag to say a restart is needed is only held in memory - if the node process is stopped, the flag will be wiped.

So clearly something else is going on here.

After running node-red-stop can you check that node-red has really been stopped? Try reloading the editor - it should fail. Check the node process has been stopped (ps -ef | grep node will give you a list of node processes - there shouldn't be one).

1 Like

Ok thanks for clear it, next time I'll check!

I have a dubt/question, if I load on boot node red with sudo systemctl enable nodered.service, can I stop it with node-red-stop in a SSH console just opened?
I think I checked already that the web was not responding, and start it again from SSH, but it still display that error. I guess I did.. maybe was tha chache of browser?

PS: it's always me, with another laptop. I had to ask something in past and my password didn't work there, so I used github account for logging in

Yes.
After stopping you can sudo systemctl status nodered to check it is stopped. Do it before the stop aswell, to see the difference.

Hi, I confirm you it was just a mistake of browser, doing a node-red-stop, followed by a start and refreshing completely the browser page solved it. Thank you

Updating the node-red-dashboard prompts this message:

Is there a way to to restart Node-RED from the GUI?