Node Red no longer accesible

Hello! First post here, hopefully I am observing the proper rules and posting this in the correct location.

I use the Node Red Home Assistant Addon. Seemingly randomly today Node Red stopped working and I can no longer load into it.

When I try to access the Node Red page I get a 502 Bad Gateway nginx error. I've already tried restarting my host ubuntu server, home assistant, and node red via the addon page.

I am accessing node red using Google Chrome via the address of my host server, https://10.0.0.x:1880 .
At this point I am unsure how to continue troubleshooting this as I am a newcomer to Node Red, if anyone can lead me in the right direction and give me an idea of where to look to identify my problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Below is my Node Red log from Hass.io.

Thank you.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 

-----------------------------------------------------------
 Hass.io Add-on: Node-RED
 Flow-based programming for the Internet of Things
 Add-on version: 4.1.1
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS  (amd64 / qemux86-64)
 Home Assistant version: 0.99.2
 Supervisor version: 188
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] node-red.sh: executing... 
[11:45:51] INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
[11:45:51] INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
patching file nodes/ui_base.html
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1243 (offset 712 lines).
npm WARN babel-loader@7.1.5 requires a peer of babel-core@6 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN babel-loader@7.1.5 requires a peer of webpack@2 || 3 || 4 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of @discordjs/uws@^10.149.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of bufferutil@^4.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of erlpack@discordapp/erlpack but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of libsodium-wrappers@^0.7.3 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of node-opus@^0.2.7 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of opusscript@^0.0.6 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN discord.js@11.5.1 requires a peer of sodium@^2.0.3 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.9: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})

audited 5765 packages in 4.246s
found 7 vulnerabilities (2 low, 3 moderate, 2 high)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details
[cont-init.d] node-red.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] user.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] user.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[11:45:57] INFO: Starting Node-RED...

> hassio-addon-node-red@ start /opt
> node $NODE_OPTIONS node_modules/node-red/red.js "--settings" "/etc/node-red/config.js"

21 Sep 11:45:57 - [info] 

Welcome to Node-RED
===================

21 Sep 11:45:57 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.20.7
21 Sep 11:45:57 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.16.3
21 Sep 11:45:57 - [info] Linux 4.15.0-62-generic x64 LE
21 Sep 11:45:58 - [info] Loading palette nodes
Sat, 21 Sep 2019 18:45:59 GMT node-telegram-bot-api deprecated Automatic enabling of cancellation of promises is deprecated.
In the future, you will have to enable it yourself.
See https://github.com/yagop/node-telegram-bot-api/issues/319. at internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:778:30
21 Sep 11:45:59 - [info] RedBot version: 0.16.12 (node-red-contrib-chatbot)
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Dashboard version 2.16.2 started at /endpoint/ui
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Settings file  : /etc/node-red/config.js
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] User directory : /config/node-red/
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Flows file     : /config/node-red/flows.json
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:46836/
21 Sep 11:46:00 - [info] Starting flows
[11:46:01] INFO: Starting NGinx...
nginx: [alert] detected a LuaJIT version which is not OpenResty's; many optimizations will be disabled and performance will be compromised (see https://github.com/openresty/luajit2 for OpenResty's LuaJIT or, even better, consider using the OpenResty releases from https://openresty.org/en/download.html)
21 Sep 11:46:01 - [info] Started flows
21 Sep 11:46:06 - [error] [status:64fd20be.1caf7] RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded
21 Sep 11:46:06 - [error] [status:64fd20be.1caf7] RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded

You possibly have a loop causing the stack to be exhausted. Or perhaps it's a bug in a contrib node.

Either way, start node-red with --safe as a command line parameter.

It will start up but won't run your flows until you deploy. It gives you the opportunity to check things out and fix up any loops or issues.

https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/local#command-line-usage

Edit...
Ps, I recommend you spend 20 mins perusing the excellent documentation. There are some excellent tips that will quickly advance your capabilities with node-red.

Thanks Steve, I've been slowly covering the documentation as I work to automate my home.

I was able to solve the issue by grabbing a backup of my flows and then completely reinstalling Node-Red via the Hass io addon uninstall/install button.

Everything is working fine now. I wish I knew what caused the original issue but as of now I do not.

Consider this closed for now, thanks for your assistance I greatly appreciate it.

1 Like