OSC installation help

hi!

im fairly new to using node-red and npm. im having a little trouble installing the osc node and i was wondering if i could get some insight as to what exactly my errors are with this install. i have copied and pasted the npm error log on here.

0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ '/usr/local/bin/node',
1 verbose cli '/usr/local/bin/npm',
1 verbose cli 'install',
1 verbose cli 'node-red-contrib-osc' ]
2 info using npm@6.7.0
3 info using node@v11.10.1
4 verbose npm-session 6d8dd15266cb71df
5 silly install loadCurrentTree
6 silly install readLocalPackageData
7 silly fetchPackageMetaData error for node-red-contrib-osc@file:node_modules/node-red-contrib-osc Could not install from "node_modules/node-red-contrib-osc" as i
t does not contain a package.json file.
8 timing stage:rollbackFailedOptional Completed in 1ms
9 timing stage:runTopLevelLifecycles Completed in 1340ms
10 verbose stack Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Users/"----"/.node-red/node_modules/node_modules/node-red-contrib-osc/package.json'
11 verbose cwd /Users/"----"/.node-red/node_modules
12 verbose Darwin 18.2.0
13 verbose argv "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install" "node-red-contrib-osc"
14 verbose node v11.10.1
15 verbose npm v6.7.0
16 error code ENOLOCAL
17 error Could not install from "node_modules/node-red-contrib-osc" as it does not contain a package.json file.
18 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

Have you tried with the recommended versions of nodejs? see the docs on the website

The version of node has nothing to do with the actual error message.

Exactly what npm command have you run to get this log?

im running the command:
npm install node-red-contrib-osc

also, i did try installing this from "manage palette" in user settings and got the same error message.

in addition, i am using midnight commander to navigate to the node module path and then running the command once i am in that path. would this make any difference? im assuming this would be the same manually setting the directory path for this installation.