Portable Node-RED v2.1.3

I miss the Manage Palette menu....

Do you have npm installed on the machine running this?

Is npm available on path?

What does npm -v show when ran from a terminal in the directory where is app lives?

If i did it right, it says (translated in english):
"not such an internal or external command, nor a program or batch file"

Then thats why you get no palette manager - it NEEDS npm (AKA node package manager) installed to install nodes :man_shrugging:

• How did you install nodejs?
  • What version of nodejs are you running (enter node -v in a command line terminal)
  • What computer OS (operating system) are you running on?

@Steve-Mcl This is a portable NR package - not standard - it shouldn't need anything else installing

Yeah, I know it is a portable version but somehow it will still need NPM.

NOTE: I understand why you pointed that out (it suggests NPM should also be packaged with the portable app) - but I dont know (I've never used it) - what i do know is, lack of NPM is the reason for no palette manager.

So, if NPM is supposed to be packaged and is present then it may be the path the app is executed from (hence why i asked what OS)

I'm running the portable version on win 10.
The PC doesn't allow to install external software (that's why I need the portable one)
Anymay, digging into the folder, I found something maybe related:

• folder npmlog (\resources\app\node_modules)
    but no more else....

PS: node -v gives the same answer as before....

I tried to re-download the zip file, but nothing changed (Manager Palette still missing)
@cymplecy WHere did you get your versione (as it seems complete)?

From 1st link in 1st post

It could be (as Steve is suggesting) that the project is missing something from the package

I might be getting different result from you as I already have full Node-RED running on same machine

Just as a comparison, try installing Node-RED Desktop and see what you get with that

I used to us that version a in schools and it always worked for me

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to install external software on the pc where I should use it, that's why the portable version

OK
Run the Node-RED Desktop on a PC where you do have access

Then just zip up the folder where it ends up installing it and you'll have the same type of thing as the one at the top of the thread.

I used this technique in my schools to install it on a network share and then just got the pupils to run the exe from there

FYI on my current Win11 computer

As soon as I back home I'll try it

I did as you suggested, and it works! (or, at least, it seems working fine)

1 Like

hello, how can activate security login?

For which version? There are 2 in discussion.

Also, the answer will probably be the same as an ordinary installation - edit settings.js file. Details are here: Securing Node-RED : Node-RED

i have two node-red, one of is standart installation on windows, and its totally secured, settings.js under users folder,

but second one is portable one, but its not possible to use secure login, i still searching settings.js files where located at, any one has idea?