Problem moving Flows between a Pi & Winbox

I think I might have found the problem. I've got "UI Builder" in my palette even though I've never used it. So, all my exports (from both machines) are not in ".node-red/lib/flows", but in ".node-red/lib/uitemplates. From the N-R export interface, I can't navigate up a level and the only folder showing is "local", which I'm guessing is "flows". I think I'll save these exports to the desktop, uninstall UI Builder, then move them back to the flows folder and see how it behaves.

Russ

pi@pigate:~ $ node-red-stop

Stop Node-RED

Use   node-red-start   to start Node-RED again

pi@pigate:~ $ node-red-start

Start Node-RED

Once Node-RED has started, point a browser at http://192.168.1.14:1880
On Pi Node-RED works better with the Firefox or Chrome browser

Use   node-red-stop                          to stop Node-RED
Use   node-red-start                         to start Node-RED again
Use   node-red-log                           to view the recent log output
Use   sudo systemctl enable nodered.service  to autostart Node-RED at every boot
Use   sudo systemctl disable nodered.service to disable autostart on boot

To find more nodes and example flows - go to http://flows.nodered.org

Starting as a systemd service.
Started Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
14 Nov 09:34:51 - [info]
Welcome to Node-RED
===================
14 Nov 09:34:51 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.1.2
14 Nov 09:34:51 - [info] Node.js  version: v12.18.2
14 Nov 09:34:51 - [info] Linux 4.14.79-v7+ arm LE
14 Nov 09:34:53 - [info] Loading palette nodes
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] +-----------------------------------------------------
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] | uibuilder initialised:
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] |   root folder: /home/pi/.node-red/uibuilder
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] |   version . .: 2.0.8
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] |   packages . : vue,bootstrap,bootstrap-vue,jquery,socket.io
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] +-----------------------------------------------------
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Dashboard version 2.23.0 started at /ui
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Settings file  : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Flows file     : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_pigate.json
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
14 Nov 09:34:58 - [info] Starting flows
14 Nov 09:34:59 - [info] Started flows
14 Nov 09:34:59 - [warn] [ui_svg_graphics:verClosed] The specified msg.topic is not supported
14 Nov 09:34:59 - [warn] [ui_svg_graphics:verOpen] The specified msg.topic is not supported

I see there are other responses, I'll have a look and post back

Russ

This about sums up all the other intermediate posts.

The problem was, my exports were going to "la la land" somewhere not in a place any other posters were aware of. I finally found them (I'll admit I'm not fluent at all in Linux) but it took awhile. In the meantime, I used copy/paste to keep these exports from disappearing for good.

All this was done under the assumption that once you do a deploy, there's no "undo" to get back to where you were?

I'm pretty new to N-R, so making big changes to a node or flow w/o having a "working copy" in reserve can be rather dangerous. In these cases, I would prefer to export, make changes in the N-R editor, hopefully not destroying my project, but if that happens, import the working node back in. I guess to people with vast knowledge of N-R, this all seems fruitless, but to a newb, it makes perfect sense.

Russ

1 Like

Each time you deploy node red keeps a backup copy of the previous version (just one, not older ones). So if you realise you have just made a major mistake you can go back to that one, provided you don't deploy again. If your flows file is called flows_xxx.json then the backup is called .flows_xxx.json.backup. You would have to manually rename it and restart node-red to pick it up.

Thanks Colin, for having the patience to deal with someone learning. That's good to know!

Russ

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.