Referring to a specific module version in the function node?

Is there a way to reference a specific module version when adding modules to a function node?

I tried with a module name like this "mymodule@0.1.0" and the logs showed that this specific version has been installed successfully, but right after the logs says:

[error] [function:a6b143fb515da793] Error: Cannot find module 'mymodule@0.1.0'
Require stack:
- C:\...\node_modules\mymodule@0.1.0

Regards,
Dirk

You can't do it in a function node, but you can do it in package.json

If you look there after you have installed the module you will see it there, along with a definition of valid versions. Make sure it stipulates only the correct version and it will always be that version. Provided you do not install a different version instead.

Actually you can as I recently discovered. Try it out with the dummy package, try adding aaa@0.0.1 and you will see that it installs that version instead of the latest 0.0.2.

"dependencies": {
    "aaa": "^0.0.1",
    "read-excel-file": "^5.6.1"
  },

Well, you live and learn.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers!

This is exactly what i tried, adding the module name incl. the version qualifier. It installs the specified version and I see it in the dependencies, but the Node-Red log prompts with "Error: Cannot find module 'mymodule@0.1.0'".
So, referencing a specific in the "Modules" list does not fully work. It installs the modules in the specified version, but it can't load it, because it look for a module name 'mymodule@0.1.0' although it is installed with name 'mymodule'.

My workaround: I will not use 'Modules' feature in the function node, will install the module with a classic "npm install mymodule@0.1.0" in my docker initialization, make it a global requirement in the 'settings.js' and get it via 'const myMod = global.get("mymodule");'

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I think that is actually a bug so you might want to raise an issue against the node-red repo.

Since you can install with a version modifier, node-red should really be able to cope with that or should reject the install. I know that on uibuilder, which has a similar interface for loading npm modules that are mounted as web endpoints, it does cope with version modifiers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.