Right click context menu inject timestamp msg

Maybe a side-panel with the form for the inject and a button that injects to the selected node?

The plugin looks like the image above.

I would see a button to the left of each cross button in the sidebar (Breakpoints tab - only for input) and we also need something on the input of the nodes to click.

Without forgetting a new tab in the sidebar where we configure the message to send

I was just trying to keep it simple, an easy win so to speak...
I can always configure an inject node if I need more 'features' but often I just need to kick an already deployed node, and the default timestamp is perfect for that. Anything more and I of course can always pull a full inject node onto the sheet.

For context, much of my NodeRed integration is centred around the Home Assistant add-on, thus most of my end nodes usually carry all the information need, so a prod (inject) with any context would be enough to fire the already deployed node.

When I'm building a flow I often end up with lots of inject nodes at various points for testing (Some sources might only trigger once an hour for example), thus being able to right click on a node and click 'inject timestamp' would be not only a time saver, but also keep the flow simpler and easier to follow. I'm thinking new users, not the type of users that get deep into plug-ins and keyboard shortcuts...

I think you are assuming most people use shortcuts, I generally don't so I use the NR UI the way it was originally intended, as a point and click interface, thus lots of mouse movements etc... Not having to deploy after adding an inject node would be great, equally not having to deploy when removing it would also be great, so perhaps the compromise is the right-click option for those of us addicted to mouse operations.. lol

Not at all I hardly ever assume anything, just pointing out there is a quick way to add an inject and timestamp msg, until alternative can/may be added. I to use a lot of mouse, but i do learn keyboard shortcuts that make things quicker/easier to.

1 Like

I agree very much with the original idea. Was just about to suggest the same.

When testing and debugging it would be awesome to be able to inject (empty or timestamp) into any node without having to wire an inject node and deploy it. I imagine something like this:

I agree that the idea is interesting but as discussed, there is a major problem: where to define the content of the message. If this idea is implemented, we will end up with unhappy people who have to go into the settings to modify the content of the message. Settings isn't the most ideal place.

It seems the grey beards have already dismissed the idea sadly..
But yes, your screen shot is exactly what I was envisioning...

The standard inject node would remain as is, no changes. The right click context menu would be a simple way to start a flow during testing without the extra mouse action and deployment ect... The vast majority of my flows don't need anything more than a timestamp kick to get them going so a right click on a node to simulate a default inject node would be perfect for me and many others... If someone want's something more complicated or a custom message, then there is always the Inject Node available to them, no need for anything buried in settings etc...

1 Like

That's not what I'm thinking of doing. For sure the flow would have to be deployed, I talking right clicking on the input point of an existing deployed node and giving it a kick with a timestamp without having to drag an inject node over, wire it up, then deploy, then click it, then delete it then deploy again...

I should clarify, most of my NR journey is in pursuit of automating Home Assistant, and as such a large number of my flows are purely procedural thus the rampant use of 'current' state' nodes ect. I rarely pass messages to call service nodes, but instead configure the call service to do it's thing regardless of the message it gets, thus a timestamp is just perfect for that.

It would be a "nice to have" feature, but I just change the appearance of the inject node to turn off the label, then it's not really taking much space on a flow.

I follow up on what I said above.

I like the idea because I too sometimes want to kick to trigger a flow.

But creating a shortcut (right click context menu) directly in the NR Core whose only job is to send an unmodifiable message will be beneficial for some but also incomplete for others - which means unhappy people and FRs.

So for me this request must be part of the debugging tool because it would allow to have the shortcut and be able to modify the msg content in a very simple way in the Sidebar. In addition, this tool offers other features which are very interesting for beginners and us as well.

I'm not against the idea but I won't put it in core directly - the plugin (which the user will install) will add the shortcut to context menu (+ other ways to trigger).

1 Like

I didn't think a plugin could add-in right click context menu options?

For sure it's a first world problem, but I'm trying to find a more efficient way than [drag and drop an inject node - wire it up - deploy - active the node - delete the node - deploy] - A simple right click on the input of an existing deployed node injects a timestamp or perhaps another payload if not the default.

Currently no, but it's not a big job either: consists of adding a method "addOptions" which adds our options to the menu list.

As I said, there may be another more interesting shortcut than right clicking.

It can be 'stay a moment' on a wire or an input and an option (tooltip - a kind of menu - or something else) will appear and we click on it. As an example

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.