S2 Mini based on ESP32-S2 with the same footprint as the Wemos D1 Mini

I've taken your lead Bob and ordered a set of four S2 Mini devices for a total (UK) price of £10.51
The spec says they come pre-flashed with Micro-Python, so that will be a lot of "fun" for just over a tenner.

1 Like

Why does it call itself an ESP8266 then ?

Well that is very easy to explain... On the AE website there are a number of options you can select.
selection
I think I've ordered the right one. Only time will tell. The line-item-title says "S2 Mini", so should be correct.

1 Like

Color option ? Let’s wait and see.

I didn't order mine from that site, I did a search on Ali for ESP32 S2 and ordered at the best price, with good reviews, that I could find. I have never used uPython or much Python at all, so it might be an interesting learning curve if mine are flashed with uPython. I do most of my programming using C/C++, apart from Node-Red functions, and so having learnt that I did not see much point is learning Python.

Micropython is really a breath of fresh air, the REPL interface is amazing, realtime coding on your ESP (over wifi!), no more compiling at the cost of speed, then again how much speed do you need :wink:

1 Like

Hang on! It's taken me 7 years to learn basic JavaScript & C/C++ :wink:

3 Likes

I use platformIO and load my ESP's via OTA so compiling isn't an issue for me. Another benefit I see is that the code is checked during compilation time too, that doesn't mean the ESP won't crash however!! I do not want to start a debate on Python versus C/C++, I think it is up to the individual to make their own choices of how they program their devices. Thanks for sharing your view, what is REPL BTW?

I use platformIO and load my ESP's via OTA so compiling isn't an issue for me.

I understand that is not an issue, but it cost time, compiling in the background, uploads and restart.

REPL means (Read Evaluate Print Loop), you can connect to the microcontroller directly write your code there, it will be evaluated directly at runtime, it doesn't crash as the interpreter keeps running (just produces an error).
I agree that C/C++ is more robust and the end result produces much faster code and there are way more libraries available, nevertheless, I see the advantages for micropython too.

For the sake of completeness: You can program these board as well with Node-RED!

5 Likes

I've bought stuff from AliExpress for years. Yes, they have a back-to-back with HRMR to collect VAT at source, and the packages come with all the necessary customs declarations. Goods to a total of £135, IIRC, are due VAT but exempt Import duty. So long as you can put up with the 4-6 week delay, this is by far the simplest and cheapest way to buy goods that were originally manufactured in China, IMO.

Of course as well as Python and C, you also have the choice of NodeMCU Lua, Tasmota and ESPhome. The last two avoid any programming for common I2C and GPIO peripherals.

1 Like

Well this must be a record... for speedy delivery.
I ordered a set of four S1 Mini devices on 24th Feb and they arrived today 3rd March.
So that's 7-days from China to the UK.

Just flashed all four of them with the latest version of Micropython - they all seems to work fine.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that I once had a delivery in 3d. I was more than a little surprised!

Well that beats my delivery !! I ordered mine (10) on 18 February and they arrived yesterday March 4th. Not bad for £2.30. I think initally I am going to solder one set of IO pins as per a Wemos D1 Mini and the other set pointing up to attach female Dupont wires for development. Another variant of ESP device to my collection !

3 Likes

If anyone is interested, I just found this image showing the pinouts for an ESP32-S2 Mini.

PS: Just had another set of 5 devices arrive from China with a 9-day delivery - must be a record for me.

3 Likes

Have you ever found a base-board for one of these? I've found the double row of pins makes for very difficult prototyping.

No and I agree with you it is not breadboard friendly or suitable.
I plan to design a breakout PCB when I have some spare time.

I guess you could solder the outside pins downward as normal, and the inside upward and use female to male jumpers to connect to the breadboard.

2 Likes

That's a brilliant idea - why didn't I think of that?

I'll solder one today and see how it works.

It must be my positronic brain :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes