Scribbletune & Tone.js integration

I'm trying to generate audio using Scribbletune & Tone.js through node-red and have it play on a webpage via Tone...
I found this tutorial but not sure how can I integrate webpack, and import scribbletune/browser and tone in template node/ Dashboard template node...

I only managed to successfully create a MIDI file with base scribbletune integration that is not of much use...

You could simply import the scribbletune package in a function node (setup tab, add import) then build a dashboard to automate it.

NPM Link: scribbletune - npm

1 Like

Yes but i also want to integrate tone to convert the midi data to hearable audio...

to play where?

In the browser? or to generate audio data for saving to file / for later download links etc?

As you are probably aware, tone requires a browser (since it uses Web audio API) so it all depends how you want to architecture this.

For example,

• you can do it all in a browser e.g.
    • use template nodes to generate a dashboard page
    • write a web app for ui-builder
  • you could generate midi notes in node-red (server side) and transmit them to the browser where the sound can be generated using tone (client side)
  • you could generate midi notes and use tone + web-audio-api all at server side

What is your intended use and application?

1 Like

Okay, the initial idea is to use inject node to pass in the notes, and on the webpage (from HTTP nodes) play it...

I used a template node to import Tone and scribbletune

And from firefox console managed to play a sound...

but i want something like this to work...

But I get some errors from scribble back

Managed to get something playing entirely from template node, I think I can work myself from here thank you @Steve-Mcl for trying to help!

For anyone who wants to play with this here is a really simple flow that just loops through note sequence!

[
    {
        "id": "99af1fd06d2a33d3",
        "type": "http in",
        "z": "1b804b1f26de6b42",
        "name": "",
        "url": "/play",
        "method": "get",
        "upload": false,
        "swaggerDoc": "",
        "x": 220,
        "y": 440,
        "wires": [
            [
                "ede6737adda30f0f"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "7a6bf8a198a8ff07",
        "type": "http response",
        "statusCode": "",
        "headers": {},
        "x": 530,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "ede6737adda30f0f",
        "type": "template",
        "field": "payload",
        "fieldType": "msg",
        "format": "html",
        "syntax": "mustache",
        "template": "<html>\n    <script src=\"https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/tone/14.7.43/Tone.js\"></script>\n    <script src=\"https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/scribbletune/4.1.1/scribbletune.js\"></script>\n\n</html>\n<script>\n   \n    scribble.clip({\n    synth: 'PolySynth', // new property: synth\n    pattern: '[xx]',\n    notes: 'C4 D4 C4 D#4 C4 D4 C4 Bb3'\n    },{}).start();\n\n    Tone.context.resume().then(() => Tone.Transport.start());\n</script>",
        "output": "str",
        "x": 360,
        "wires": [
            [
                "7a6bf8a198a8ff07"
            ]
        ]
    }
]

ok, so to pass something from node-red to a web page you need a mechanism - e.g. websocket or polling an endpoint etc.

You could of course use a dashboard ui-template (then watch scope for incoming messages)
OR
use uibuilder to host your web page then use the vue hooks to receive incoming msgs

Basic structure of dashboard version...
inject --> function (import and use scribbletune to generate notes) --> ui-template (watch scope for msg then call Tone with msg.payload)

Basic structure of ui-builder version...
inject --> function (import and use scribbletune to generate notes) --> uibuilder (use vue hook to watch for msg then call Tone with msg.payload)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.