Serial Port Management Features?

Julian,
Thanks for your advice and input. I'm working with VSCOM devices. Upon investigation, (and I will need to test this on our devices when I get the chance) There is a TCP Raw Server Mode. There is a setting for "max clients". The question that needs an answer is does this mode work the same way with the serial port devices connected? The VSCOM units are a set which have an IP address to each unit. The "driver" applies a virtual port for the unit I/O.

As it turns out you can use the VSCOM in "Raw TCP Server" mode. You can specify how many connections you want to limit to the port. You can access the TCP data by the devices IP address and the TCP port assigned to each physical RS232 port. So using these devices allows me to split the messages and allow more connections. The Microscan ESP software will allow you to connect to certain devices in TCP mode, only if there is an option on the device to talk TCP in the first place. You may be able to cheat it by connecting to one and switching the device type. I will need to experiment with it. Fortunately, the majority of the devices we use that are serial have options for TCP on those models.

I did try com0com and it works pretty well. You can use other programs which need to be running on startup to monitor and pass information to the virtual ports.

com0com is used for creating and maintaining virtual serial port pairs allowing you to connect software to software and eliminate real ports between devices.

com4port is a means to multiplex and connect real serial ports to one of the pairs such that you can send a real serial ports data to many virtual serial port pairs etc.

com2TCP is a means to connect a virtual serial port to TCP. So you use these programs in concert with one another to create the monster you desire.

2 Likes

There was no reaction on this comment on DTR, RTS, CTS Pins.
I would like to dynamicly change these pins on the fly.
It is very useful, how it is realised with the buadrate (msg.baudrate = 2400) ...
WouldnĀ“t it be ok to control the pins as well with e.g. mgs.DTR = low / high / auto ... ?