Serious bug (overwrites all /usr/bin permissions) with the Debian-based install script

Thank you for the answer.

At first I have to say, that everything was working before on bullseye with old node red 1.X. After I started the upgrade script it didn't launch as it said that "Nodejs 10 too old and new version not specified - exiting".
So I launched the script with the command line option to force install nodejs 16.
During the installing of this it screwed up the file permissions in /usr/bin.
All files were "owned" by the uid 1001 which does not exist at all on my system (user pi has uid 1000).

As i upgraded another system today I used nodejs 12. This worked without the problem that the permissions were messed up.

So I thought that would be the case, but I've recently updated 2 of my Pi Zero W's and had this problem again.

I also noticed someone else with the same problem (On a Pi Zero) on Reddit: Can't start with node-red-start, but works with node-red? : nodered

I just run:

sudo ln -s /opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/node-red/bin/node-red-pi /usr/bin/node-red-pi

to fix it, but it may be worth looking into for less experienced users.

I am not experiencing this problem on my Pi 4 or Desktop that have Node-red installed. It seems to be a problem only with armv6 devices.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.