SMTP input causes crash (Windows)

Hi, Thanks for welcoming me to the forum!

I really hate to be that person who asks for help on a first post, but here we are...

I've got a brand new windows 10 pro machine which I installed node-red on to parse some local SMTP emails.

I installed the SMTP pallet and connected the SMTP in node to debug, and when I attempt to send a message to node-red I immediately get an error and a crash.

Attached is the full log from start to crash.

I'm not hugely familiar with the backend side of node-red so I'm really struggling with this. Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

Welcome to the forum @itcouldbeL

Are you using node-red-contrib-mailin-smtp? If so then I see that it has not been updated for 7 years, and there is an issue posted in 2018 that has not been answered, so I think there is little chance of getting support from the author. I think you would probably be better to install a proper mailserver on your machine.

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is the module I'm using.

I don't think a 'proler mailserver' will work. The plan is to receive emails from a cctv machine on site which can only communicate via SMTP.
I need to use node-red to extract and split the email content (event time, type, channel, etc)
Also, I wanted to use node-red as this would keep everything local and avoid reliance on the internet.

Would a 'proper mailserver' be able to take SMTP from the machine and then pass it to node-red?

Thank you.

Have you tried the node-red-node-email?

This has an MTA node that acts as a (very basic) SMTP server? It works for me (though I am on nodejs v16 not v18)

And node-red-node-email has certainly been updated more recently that 7 years.

1 Like

Thank you! I had looked and didn't think there was any other SMTP options.

I'll try as soon as I can and report back. Thanks!

this worked great for me, thank you!

It turns out I had actually installed it when struggling with the initial SMTP module, but after blank searches for 'SMTP' in the docs, i didn't think it was an option.

There's a lesson there somewhere about perseverance.

Thank you very much for your help! Now, onto the next thing... :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.