SQlite SELECT variable substitution

Hi all,
On a Raspberry Pi I am attempting to use a FUNCTION NODE to pass a msg.topic containing an SQlite SELECT query.

msg.topic = 'SELECT * FROM dhtreadings WHERE TankID = "BlackLaundry" AND TankTime > ${BlackLaundryLevel}';

I receive the error message
Error: SQLITE_ERROR: unrecognized token: "$"

With no formatting on the variable BlackLaundryLevel

msg.topic = 'SELECT * FROM dhtreadings WHERE TankID = "BlackLaundry" AND TankTime > BlackLaundryLevel';
I get the error:
Error: SQLITE_ERROR: no such column: BlackLaundryLevel

Can anyone please inform me of the correct syntax to pass a variable to a SELECT statement in a message topic?

Blockquote

Any reason you're using topic and not payload to store your query?

personally, I like to use the template node, this makes it extremely easy to construct a query.

1. Bring in a function node and set a property on the payload object.
msg.payload.BlackLaundryLevel = 100
return msg
  1. bring in a template node and set it's contents as follows (connect the function node to it)
SELECT * FROM dhtreadings WHERE TankID = "BlackLaundry" AND TankTime > {{payload.BlackLaundryLevel}}
  1. connect the template node to your sql client node.

Does node-red know the value of BlackLaundryLevel?

msg.topic = "SELECT * FROM dhtreadings WHERE TankID = 'BlackLaundry' AND TankTime > " + msg.payload.BlackLaundryLevel + ":"

the ' should be `. That is backticks rather than single quotes

msg.topic = `SELECT * FROM dhtreadings WHERE TankID = 'BlackLaundry' AND TankTime > ${BlackLaundryLevel}`;
2 Likes

Thanks, this is the answer I am looking for. That and new glasses

Yes, the variable was assigned earlier in the node.
Thanks for your reply. E1cid has answered the question

Marcus,
I copied an example where they used the topic.
Thanks for your reply. E1cid has answered the question

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.