Suggestion about `change` node. Re-think

I know it has been mentioned before - and probably will be mentioned again.

I am sure I have complained about how it works with the commands:
SET
CHANGE
DELETE
MOVE

Not wanting to make it more complicated, but I just realised a suggestion on how it is shown.

SET is used to set things. Yeah, fairly understandable. But I was thrown just now while doing something.

When working in function nodes you can context.set( ), flow.set( ) and global.set( )

These are used to set those variables.
If you are doing the opposite, it is get rather than set.

So, in the change node it is (can be) confusing.
I am wanting to flow.get("something") and save that to the ...... msg.payload.

But the selection is set.
It may be nicer if there could be a get option so the order the names are shown remains the same.
This was another thing which was brought up in previous discussions, as set and move work differently.

Do I need to elaborate more on this idea, or is it already dead in the water?

1 Like

How would it read in the config ?
Get. flow.something ...
I can’t see a simple phrasing that works compared to Set ... to... and move... to...

Well,

To me it should say Get not set.

If I was coding in JavaScript it code would be:

msg.payload = flow.get("name");

As discussed in the past the node (change) *pushes the data from the bottom field to the top one.
So: flow.name is moved to msg.payload.

It all falls apart when you move. Then it is from the top to the bottom field.

I know brainy people can see around this.

But adding a get option would (maybe) increase that it always goes in a certain direction with the two fields.

Bottom to top would be better I think. It shows you who is getting changed then from where.

set and get would help with the understanding of what is happening too.....

I think I just shot myself in the foot. My inability to explain things.

But as I said, while I was working on a recent problem I got into a bit of a mess wondering how the msg.payload was changed when none of the change nodes had a get in them.

It is intended to read as:

Set [top option] to the value of [bottom option]

If they were flipped around, you would no longer be able to start the sentence with "set".

1 Like

and if it was flipped and labelled to say

Get [ msg.payload ] from  [ flow.foobar ]

then the get would look like it applies to the msg,payload - when in fact it would be doing a msg.payload = flow.get("foobar"); which doesn't line up with @Trying_to_learn mental model ... so i think we'll leave it there for now.

Well, not really.

get msg.payload (from) flow.name works.

And from the picture (screen shot) it would still work.

Errrr.....

I am more confused now.

Yes, new picture.

The original one (without the red X's) bit me.
As it is/was it is setting msg.payload from flow.name.

The new way would be get from.
So the directionality would remain.

The problem I have is (again) if I am doing that task from a javascript level.
It is flow.get (ignoring the flow part).

But using the change node: irrespective of which way the data is going it is always set.

I am sorry. I was just not thinking straight (or in the right mindset - maybe) and it stuck out to/for me that there is this disparity in how things are done.

I don't believe I have actually expressed this aspect before. (Ok, maybe I did.) So I thought I would mention it and see if while discussing it that things would fall into place.

I'm not sure that has happened. But I don't want to argue for the sake of arguing. That's just silly.

I'd better stop now.

Thanks @dceejay and @dceejay.
Sorry for the confusion.

:slight_smile: definitely time for a break... !

1 Like

Yup.

Definitely.

(I can't believe I've been coming here for 2 years! And the google group before that!)

You'd have thought that in that time I would have learnt something. :wink:

1 Like

Hey Andrew - if you shift to using @BartButenaers Blockly node, then you can have the best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Removes all ambiguity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I've seen it and read about it.

It is something I may get done one day.

I'm just not confident enough just yet to do it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.