Suggestions from a Redmatic user

Hi,
I am new to Node-Red - using it from Redmatic inside - and could not find a specific "suggestions" category, so I am inserting my ideas here:

1. when creating a flow in my working window (I use a Win 10 PC with 4K monitor), even there I soon had created a nice mess of connectors overlapping and/or been hidden partially behind nodes. From the use of "normal" graphics editors/cadapps I am used to have two features to make graphics more easy to look at/manipulate:
    1.a) having layers to group objects (here: connectors especially) and / or control visibility
    1.b) assigning COLORs (styles) to individual connectors (or groups)

2. I have nodes which have (currently) up to 7 outputs which are all placed in small vertical distance along the right edge of the node rectangle displayed. For 1, 2 or 3 outputs, its OK for just grapping the correct output to start dragging a connector, but when you have some more and have to keep a (complete) overview of a growing flow, you soon want some help in starting at the correct output. Therefore:
    2.a) allow to "name" an output inside of the node. Especially "function-nodes" control outputs via a Javascript "return [....];" statement. It would be very convenient to do that naming / access the output-pin-names within the code.
    2.b) I have not found out how to set the number of outputs directly inside of a "function-node" source to match that "number of outputs" in the node properties dialog. Is this already possible?.
    2.c) Last but not least, I would like to get some "graphical feedback" in the editor when I move the mouse over a node output (that small ring being the start of a connector). I suggest that there may be a small context help popping up (with the 2.a) "name") and perhaps make this help controlled by a config option - if you want to deactivate such info been shown.

OK, these are my ideas for today. What do you think about them? Any chance to see them in a future release and/or is it possible to help integrate this?

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. I don't know Redmatic so not sure how well it lines up with the latest core functionality. However..

• Since 1.1 you have been able to group nodes - see Version 1.1 released : Node-RED so you can move them / colour the group etc.
  • Careful use of link nodes allows you to clean up a mess of wires - especially those going from right of screen back to left.
  • Also by segmenting your flow into suitable tabs (and linking via link nodes) - you can "hide" those chunks while you work on others.

-a&c all nodes allow you to assign labels to ports... which then appear when you hover over..

• b not sure what you mean - the number of "physical" outputs is set by the properties... if the code inside wants to use them or not is up to the code, it can't be done automatically.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.