Table of Variables

Hi,
For transparency, I am not a programmer in C, C#, json etc, but by using multiple guides I got there!
I work with Crestron Simpl windows and my Simpl+ (C deriviant) is limited.

I have done a search but NodeRed is new to me.

A client asked me if I could look at a way of using Google Home to control his lighting system.
Crestron controls it using a RS485 protocol.

I have it working using a lot of functions....
I was thinking if it is possible to have a table of 'Room Hint' and assign a value, to cut down on the amount of functions I need.

IE The Kitchen in this project is Area 10
The command string I send for a room is always relevant to that area.
"@SS01:A10:F03"cr/lf ;selects scene1 in Area10

So if I was able to have a table like

Room Hint Area
Kitchen A10
Utility A11
Lounge A5

True SS01 ; Area On
False SS00 ; Area Off

How could I Create or store that table and then write the function to build the command.
IE
Google home switch function. Topic = Room Name, True (On)
Debug message for reference.
payload: true

topic: "Kitchen"

So the general output command would be
@'payload':'Topic':F03 but after processing it becomes "@SS01:A10:F03" cr/lf - which turns the light on, etc.

If someone could point me in the right direction to some links, it is not that I have much to do in the UK during LockDown3!

Hope my question makes sense!

Regards
Paul.

Not sure if i understand fully, but it sounds like you need to create a llok up table.

This can be done by creating a JSON with keys as device names and values as the information corresponding to the device. This can be stored in context storage as a global or in a database/textfile also.
Context would be easier and fairly simple.
https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/context
Maybe this will help you with lookup table
https://www.reddit.com/r/nodered/comments/9q7v3n/how_to_create_a_lookup_table/

Thank you so much for the links.

I have been trying to understand the code.
Found out I can copy the long lines of text and import it into node red!
I have read and watched the links numerous times.....

Because I am not in or anywhere near your realms of knowledge i am honestly struggling.

If I need to 'Buy a Coffee' for someone to get me started I have no issues in doing that.
I know exactly what I am trying to achieve, but do not have the expertise to implement it in Node Red!

I think I will need 2 or 3 lookup tables or files would be easier, one for 'Room' or 'Topic', one for Payload 'True' or 'False' or a value.

I will persevere more when I get back from a customer visit.

Regards,
Paul.

I could help more but i would need examples of your device names and information to link to each.
If you export your flow maybe i could see what you need and produce an example for you. Examples of the input data and how the output should look. would help to. I see you have added some examples but they are not to clear.

The simplest "lookup table" I can think of would just be a change node, using a JSONata expression to lookup the code and area, returning the command string -- something like this:

(
    $code := payload ? "SS01" : "SS00";
    $area := {
        "Kitchen": "A10",
        "Utility": "A11",
        "Lounge": "A5"
    } ~> $lookup(topic);

"@" & $code & ":" & $area & ":F03\r\n"
)

The JSONata expression language is fairly advanced, but this seems more readable to me than a block of Javascript code... Here is how it looks in the node-red editor:

It has the advantage of having a built-in tester -- just put your msg data in the lower-left pane and the output appears in the lower-right pane, in real time, as you modify the expression above.

@shrickus Yes that is easier to understand, thank you.

Do I need to install something in my Palette to use JSONata Exp Editor?

I added a change node and could not see that editor.
Very new!

Thanks again.

Paul

After lots of clicking and swearing I found it and eventually got it to work.

Thanks again.

Just need NORA to stay connected!

Regards,

Paul

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.