Telnet Connection Node Missing after install

Hi,
i want to use the https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-telnet-client Telnet Node.
When i install i can setup the telnet connection, but when i want to deploy it i get an error that says that the telnet connection node is missing.
After rebooting node red the telnet connection settings are gone and i cannot use the package.

Can anyone help me?
Is there a way to report bugs direct on a package?

Do you mean you get the Flows Stopped Due To Missing Nodes message?
If so then open a terminal and go to your .node-red folder and run
npm install node-red-contrib-telnet-client
and if, at the end, it says it has failed then copy/paste the output here please. When pasting it in use the </> button at the top of the forum text window.
If it appears to have succeeded then stop node red and start it in the terminal and post that log here too.

There was just an update in the last couple of minutes (but the page says 2 months ago).
Now i have V 1.0.1 and this bug is gone - it's not working (doesn't read the telnet data) but i have no more error.

Unfortunately the node does not seem to have a github repository and so there is no obvious way to report a problem. You could try contacting the author directly.

Do you have to use telnet, can you not use ssh?

Jeah i sadly have to, ssh is not supported.
now the package bugs after rebooting and says that 2 other nodes of the package are missing - very weird.
Looks like this:
df

Install log looks like so:

2020-11-04T23:47:00.668Z installieren : node-red-contrib-telnet-client 1.0.1

2020-11-04T23:47:00.934Z npm install --no-audit --no-update-notifier --no-fund --save --save-prefix="~" --production node-red-contrib-telnet-client@1.0.1
2020-11-04T23:47:06.924Z [out] + node-red-contrib-telnet-client@1.0.1
2020-11-04T23:47:06.924Z [out] added 6 packages from 5 contributors in 4.508s
2020-11-04T23:47:07.028Z rc=0

Have you searched the flows site and the forum for telnet to see if there are alternatives?

I could try to use the tcp node but i'm not sure how to send sth with the tcp node.
I already tried but it didn't work

[{"id":"15b71cd6.054763","type":"inject","z":"ea4157b9.422548","name":"","props":[{"p":"data","v":"MCa","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","x":640,"y":500,"wires":[["7267fa9d.915f24"]]},{"id":"7267fa9d.915f24","type":"tcp out","z":"ea4157b9.422548","host":"192.168.178.84","port":"23","beserver":"client","base64":false,"end":false,"name":"","x":920,"y":500,"wires":[]}]

And the tcp in Node does not only listen but it blocks all other connections - so telnet would be better.

Also i could not find any contact information about the author of the telnet package.

npm owner ls node-red-contrib-telnet-client

cabrouwers npmjs@charles-andre.com

When i install the package with the terminal i see a lot more output - also some errors (probably the reason why it doesn't work)

> bcrypt@3.0.6 install /opt/node_modules/bcrypt
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download 
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(404): https://github.com/kelektiv/node.bcrypt.js/releases/download/v3.0.6/bcrypt_lib-v3.0.6-node-v72-linux-x64-musl.tar.gz 
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for bcrypt@3.0.6 and node@12.18.4 (node-v72 ABI, musl) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp) 
gyp ERR! build error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: not found: make
gyp ERR! stack     at getNotFoundError (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:13:12)
gyp ERR! stack     at F (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:68:19)
gyp ERR! stack     at E (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:80:29)
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:89:16
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/isexe/index.js:42:5
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/isexe/mode.js:8:5
gyp ERR! stack     at FSReqCallback.oncomplete (fs.js:168:21)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.59+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node" "--module_name=bcrypt_lib" "--module_path=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding" "--napi_version=6" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v72"
gyp ERR! cwd /opt/node_modules/bcrypt
gyp ERR! node -v v12.18.4
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok 
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error 
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/usr/bin/node /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --module_path=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding --napi_version=6 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v72' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/opt/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:286:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.59+
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/opt/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /opt/node_modules/bcrypt
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v12.18.4
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.12.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok 
Failed to execute '/usr/bin/node /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --module_path=/opt/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding --napi_version=6 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v72' (1)

> bcrypt@3.0.8 install /opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download 
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(404): https://github.com/kelektiv/node.bcrypt.js/releases/download/v3.0.8/bcrypt_lib-v3.0.8-node-v72-linux-x64-musl.tar.gz 
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for bcrypt@3.0.8 and node@12.18.4 (node-v72 ABI, musl) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp) 
gyp ERR! build error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: not found: make
gyp ERR! stack     at getNotFoundError (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:13:12)
gyp ERR! stack     at F (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:68:19)
gyp ERR! stack     at E (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:80:29)
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:89:16
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/isexe/index.js:42:5
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/isexe/mode.js:8:5
gyp ERR! stack     at FSReqCallback.oncomplete (fs.js:168:21)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.59+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node" "--module_name=bcrypt_lib" "--module_path=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding" "--napi_version=6" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v72"
gyp ERR! cwd /opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt
gyp ERR! node -v v12.18.4
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok 
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error 
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/usr/bin/node /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --module_path=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding --napi_version=6 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v72' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:286:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.59+
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v12.18.4
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.14.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok 
Failed to execute '/usr/bin/node /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --module_path=/opt/node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding --napi_version=6 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v72' (1)
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bcrypt@3.0.6 (node_modules/bcrypt):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bcrypt@3.0.6 install: `node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build`
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Exit status 1
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bcrypt@3.0.8 (node_modules/node-red-admin/node_modules/bcrypt):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bcrypt@3.0.8 install: `node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build`
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Exit status 1

+ node-red-contrib-telnet-client@1.0.1
updated 1 package and audited 1071 packages in 31.975s

51 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details

found 7 vulnerabilities (3 low, 4 moderate)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

I made Progress, i had to add
make and g++ to my yaml config file of the addon.
(alpine packages https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages)

Then i had to enter (because i couldn't build bcrpyt)
npm i request
(https://github.com/kelektiv/node.bcrypt.js/issues/664#issuecomment-430860141)

Then i was able to run
npm install bcrypt@5.0.0

and after that

but it was missing in the ui and also not there after restarting the container. so i tried the same command as seen in the ui.

npm install --no-audit --no-update-notifier --no-fund --save --save-prefix="~" --production node-red-contrib-telnet-client@1.0.1

And i have the problem i had before npm i request. (Some errors building)

...... When i install via terminal of the Docker container it's missing in the UI and when i install via the UI it's broken after deploy like in post before.

You don't need to worry about the apparent errors, the fact that it ends with

+ node-red-contrib-telnet-client@1.0.1
updated 1 package and audited 1071 packages in 31.975s

means that it installed ok.
[Edit] though it might be worth while removing it then re-installing, since that just updated a package that was already installed
npm remove node-red-contrib-telnet-client

I still get the problem that the request and send node are missing after installation.

Sorry, you will have to try via the author then, or find another route.

I was just trying to use this node as well and was having issues. I'm guessing it has to do with some references in some of the files. I see this error:

• Error: Cannot find module 'C:/Users/Charles-Andre.HOME/source/repos/telnet-engine/index.js' (line:4)
  • Error: Cannot find module 'C:/Users/Charles-Andre.HOME/source/repos/telnet-engine/index.js' (line:4)

I'm not Charles-Andre, I'm guessing that is the author.

Yes I have a discussion with him in a GitHub repo https://github.com/CABrouwers/node-red-contrib-synaccess-netbooter/issues/3

I just opened an issue on his git-hub. https://github.com/CABrouwers/node-red-contrib-telnet/issues/1

The problem was a local File Path in 2 of the Nodes. This was fixed by the dev (https://github.com/CABrouwers/node-red-contrib-telnet/issues/1) also i had to request refresh in order to update it in Node Red.
Problem solved.

And much thanks to @Colin for his very fast reply - i'm not used to this in forums.

1 Like

I am the node owner. Thanks for your help. I have now created a Github repository and yesterday I uploaded a corrected version on npm (1.0.4). However, the version hasn`t been picked up by node-red yet. If anyone has an idea why, please let me know.

For me it has been picked up after i clicked "request refresh" and waited for a couple of minutes.

I see the same, thanks,