Testing a node locally

Rather than publishing my new node, I followed the node-red packaging guide to test the node locally, but I can't get it to display in my node-RED palette, and seeing strange npm behaviour.
npm v6.4.1
node-RED v 0.19.5
Node.js version: v8.12.0

I made a few early mistakes initially by calling the node 'node-red-contrib-RFM69Pi-Decoder' (note upper-case), but later changed it to 'node-red-contrib-rfm69pi-decoder'. However, when I try and link the node, I get;

pi@raspberrypi:~/.node-red $ npm install /home/pi/testnode/node-red-contrib-rfm69pi-decoder
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No repository field.
npm WARN node-red-project@0.0.1 No license field.
+ node-red-contrib-rfm69pi-decoder@0.0.2
added 3 packages from 1 contributor and audited 1425 packages in 54.756s
found 23 vulnerabilities (3 low, 12 moderate, 8 high)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

...which looks good, but after a NR stop/start, the node does not appear in the palette, and if I look in ~/.node-red/node_modules, I see;
nr - NOTE - node-red-contrib-RFM69Pi-Decoder.

So I deleted both 'node-red-contrib-RFM69Pi-Decoder' & 'node-red-contrib-rfm69pi-decoder' and cleaned the npm cache -npm cache clean --force and tried again, and got exactly the same result.

Where is it getting 'node-red-contrib-RFM69Pi-Decoder' from?? It's not mentioned in any of my node files, and why isn't my node displayed in the palette?

Is node-red-contrib-RFM69Pi-Decoder still mentioned in your package.json ? If you didn't use npm remove to remove it, then it will still be in your package.json file and npm will be reinstalling it for you.

No, it is not mentioned.

No, I didn't use npm remove, so manually remove the entry from .node-red/package.json?

We may have crossed our wires on which package.json I was referring to in my first question. I was asking about .node-red/package.json. If it is mentioned in that file, remove it.

That has sorted the package.json issue OK, thanks.

However my node is still not being displayed in the palette.
I've npm removed it, and npm re-installed it, and the node-red-log now shows;

11 Jan 10:27:35 - [warn] [node-red-contrib-rfm69pi-decoder/rfm69pi-decoder] SyntaxError: missing ) after argument list

Do you know which file this error refers to, or is it a case of again hunting for a syntax error throughout all of the node's files

It will be under whatever rfm69pi-decoder points at in your package.json.

Your IDE ought to help you find a syntax error in the file - it isn't a runtime error.

Thanks, found it found them!
Silly errors that I should have spotted earlier.