Troubleshooting node-RED sms service not sending some messages

We are trying to get a text message to send when the intrusion alarm is triggered. Other text messages come through no problem, but the intrusion text is never sent.
We have used telnet to see the information as its being sent out and this is what we got.

The above is the info being sent from test room to node red.

the ss1 pack has a value of 49280 in binary that is 1100000010000000, and the second bit is a 0 indicating no intrusion alarm triggered.

The above is the info after the alarm has been tripped and you can see that ss1 is now a value of 49282 and in binary that is 1100000010000010,

and now the second bit is a 1 indicating the intrusion alarm has been triggered, still no text alert.

It would seem the control board is sending the data properly, so it has to be something to do with node red.

Continuing with that train of thought I looked at the function nodes on the node-RED page and the settings_remote.db file on the VM.

This node is getting all the active bits, and the name, bitname, bits, send_sms, send_email and sending a text if send_sms = 1.

I have check to be sure send_sms is equal to 1.

We can confirm 'name' and 'Bits" are correct by the telnet information if I'm not mistaken, and the names of the packs look correct through telnet as well as the locations of the bits.

The code appears to be setting up a database query to select certain rows from a table called "REMOTE_DATA_TX_BITS" based on certain criteria. It looks like the criteria are the values in the "send_sms" column being set to 1 and the values in the "name" and "bits" columns matching certain values that are determined by the input data in the "msg.bits" object.

Can anyone provide any clues as to why this is not sending our intrusion text? If more info or screen shots are needed I can provide them.

First off please don't use screen shots they are very hard to read and examine, copy the data and paste it to your reply. Here are two items that should help you:

There’s a great page in the docs (Working with messages : Node-RED) that will explain how to use the debug panel to find the right path to any data item.

Pay particular attention to the part about the buttons that appear under your mouse pointer when you over hover a debug message property in the sidebar.

BX00Cy7yHi

In order to make code readable and usable it is necessary to surround your code with three backticks (also known as a left quote or backquote ```)

``` 
   code goes here 
```

You can edit and correct your post by clicking the pencil :pencil2: icon.

See this post for more details - How to share code or flow json

and sharing your flow will be helpful.

1 Like

Zenofmud, thank you for your reply its very informative. Sorry for using screen shots and not copy pasting the info, I will remember that going forward. These docs help a lot thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.