UIbuilder installation failed

Installing UIBuilder failed with from within nodered with Palette installation as well with "Manual installs and other versions" as posted on Github page.

The manual install stops with:

y:~/.node-red $ sudo npm install node-red-contrib-uibuilder
(##################) ⠴ reify:leveldown: http fetch GET 200 https://registry.npmjs.org/leveldown/-/leveldown-1.4.6.tgz 19047

(no difference with or without sudo)
Any help?

I've just checked and I can't find any indication that any of uibuilder's dependencies would try to install LevelDown. Double-checked against several installations as well.

So as far as I can tell, something else is causing that.

I would suggest starting by finding out what installed package(s) are trying to use leveldown.

Oh, and you really shouldn't be installing Node-RED nodes with SUDO. That indicates a wrong installation.

And reify? What is that doing in there? Again, nothing uibuilder does involves it.

A bit more explanation of what might be going on. When you run npm install it first checks that everything else specified in package.json is as it should be, so it is probably that operation that is failing. You can check that just by running
npm install

1 Like

And yes, npm install shows some errors:

$ npm install
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! syscall open
npm ERR! path /home/pi/package.json
npm ERR! errno -2
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/package.json'
npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent 

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2023-03-30T10_15_56_431Z-debug-0.log

After some searching about possible fixes ... I'm going to restart the RPI
Thanks for the moment :wink:

Sorry, I should have said, you should be running the install in the .node-red folder. That is assuming you have a conventional install.

Sure, I had noticed that too.
But also because of all the different experiments I did, I thought it's safer to start from scratch.

Can you give a good tip for reinstalling node.js/npm/node-red.
On Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED is stated:

... includes the Raspberry Pi OS-packaged version of Node.js, but does not include npm
Since npm is (usually) required, what would a subsequent secure installation of npm be like?

That refers to the packaged node red in the pi os repository. If you use the recommend script shown there then it should install everything you need, apart from build-essential, git and curl which you should install first as described there.

Clean RPI/OS/NR/MQTT with on top UIBuilder installation and everything is OK :smiling_face_with_tear:
Now NR/ui is running with the first nodes in production (on port 1880). Next will be a dev part to use UIBuilder with separate setup on port 2000 (as described with the other discussion).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.