Update Node.js to version 14

Hi!

I have a HomeMatic IP system - RaspberryMatic with RedMatic addon (it has Node.js 14) - which works without problems with node-red-contrib-ccu to control everything.

I want to move to a separate pi that I installed with the command from Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED and it installes a Node.js version of 12. Unfortunately, with the same version of node-red-contrib-ccu, it is not possible to control the HomeMatic system. Is there a possibility to update my Node.js version to 14? Just for testing, it is not a productive system.

v14 is an LTS version and is supported by Node-RED. You just need to update node.js however, you should then do:

cd ~/.node-red
npm rebuild

to make sure that all of the compiled libraries are correct.

Thank you!

But how should I do it? On the command line with some command? Or adding some repository to the sources.list and use apt-get?

Edit: Ah, found the repo file!

Edit 2: Update was successful, but doesn't solve the problem :worried:

Did you re-install node-red and run npm rebuild in the .node-red folder after upgrading nodejs?

Double-check that Node-RED is using the correct version. It is shown at the start of the log.

No, only rebuild, but not re-install. Is that necessary?

Yes, that's okay

17 Mar 21:27:42 - [info]

Willkommen bei Node-RED!
===================

17 Mar 21:27:42 - [info] Node-RED Version: v1.2.9
17 Mar 21:27:42 - [info] Node.js  Version: v14.16.0
17 Mar 21:27:42 - [info] Linux 5.10.17-v7+ arm LE
17 Mar 21:27:44 - [info] Paletten-Nodes werden geladen
17 Mar 21:28:00 - [info] node-red-contrib-ccu version: 3.4.2
17 Mar 21:28:00 - [info] Dashboard version 2.28.1 started at /ui
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [info] Einstellungsdatei: /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [info] Kontextspeicher: 'default' [ module=memory]
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [info] Benutzerverzeichnis: /home/pi/.node-red
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [warn] Projekte inaktiviert: editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [info] Flow-Datei: /home/pi/.node-red/flows_automation.json
17 Mar 21:28:01 - [info] Server wird jetzt auf http://127.0.0.1:1880/ ausgeführt.

Yes, it is necessary to re-install node-red, or at least it is desirable, so that anything in node-red that has to be built is rebuilt using the new version. You can do that with
sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

Then restart node-red.

Okay, I didn't know that, though it doesn't solve the problem. But I learned something new :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.