Updating Node Red on a PC

Hi,

I have been looking for info on how to update Node-Red to the latest version on a PC, l can see how to install but nothing on updating, if anyone could give me a hint I would be most grateful.

thanks
Stuart

The significant information needed is not that it is a PC but what Operating System you are running. Ubuntu, Debian, Windows etc.

Hi, Of course, I am running windows 10 on this PC

thanks
Stuart

I don't use Windows, but this looks as if it might be helpful
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/upgrading.html

Thanks Colin but the sudo commands suggest that this is for a raspberry pi, if you click on windows to the left it explains how to install but not how to upgrade....

thanks
Stuart

how did you install nodejs and nodered?
Do you need to update them both or just node-red?

If you are updating nodejs are you jumping versions eg v6 to v8?

Hi, ukmoose,

I installed it some time ago on this pc so it is all outdated now, as far as I can remember I installed node.js first then node-red, I think I followed the instructions on the node-red website, as far as I can see it might be easier to just delete the folders and reinstall everything

thanks
Stuart

Hi,

I have just checked and I have node js version 8.10

thanks

Hi,

I have noticed that node.js is now at version 10.12 , should I update to this or will node-red not work with this version ?

thanks
Stuart

What does it say on the Node-RED website? https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/installation

@acestu to install node-red you would have followed the install docs and run

npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

The upgrade instructions say:

If you have installed Node-RED as a global npm package, you can upgrade to the latest version with the following commands:

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

Now, the sudo bit isn't needed on Windows... so you can just run:

npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

There's no need to change your version of Node.js, 8 is the current LTS version which is a good place to be.

Node-RED will run happily on 10, but it gets a tiny bit more complicated to upgrade both node.js and node-red. So tackle one thing at a time.

Thank you knolleary,

that worked a treat, I was going to do this but I thought it may install a new copy over my old copy losing all my flows etc.

Thanks again
Stuart

And to upgrade NodeJS, simply download the latest version and install. You can stick with v8.x as Nick says.

There are other ways to install and update Node but that is by far the simplest and most reliable.