Upgrading Node-Red (not forklifing)

I am attempting to upgrade. All of the upgrades are really reinstallations that wipe out prior configs and flows. I am attempting to upgrade Node-Red to the latest version from v1.2.9 running on Ubuntu. I am using vmware so snapshotting is allowing me to easily roll back from each of the upgrades mentioned on the internet that are forklifts that obliterate the prior installation. I have tried running the Raspberry PI quoted upgrade (do not try this, it is an install, and destroys your prior installs, flows, configurations). I have tried a straight out linux upgrade. That also does not work as it seems to keep security config changes but seems to kill the keys. So, here is what I am trying to do

1. Upgrade
  2. Not destroy the settings.js
  3. Not destroy the keys used in the settings.js
  4. Definitely not loose all of the existing flows that using the 'bash...' quoted upgrade does.

Again, caveats:

1. Ubuntu
  2. Using settings.js to add in UserID and PWD
  3. Using encrypted Key for password as presented in the Ubuntu Security docs

Help - any ideas are appreciated.

The install script should upgrade just fine, settings.js, flows, credentials are all kept in the userDir (normally ~/.node-red) none of these are touched when the Node-RED packages are upgraded.

The only reason you might appear to have lost those things, would be if you have started Node-RED as a different user and as such using a different userDir.

The active userDir, settings.js and flow file are all logged at startup.

1 Like

Clearly something else is going wrong for you. The upgrade process is mature and has been used by many thousands of installations without problems.

What I might say though is that if you want to be certain about what is happening, my belief is that it is much better to learn the installation steps for yourself rather than relying on Dave's (totally excellent) script. Indeed, that was one of the reasons I developed the alternate install process and script, it doesn't automate everything but rather puts you in control of everything and makes it blindingly obvious where everything is (global installs have a nasty habbit of putting stuff where it is hard to find). It also makes it very easy to back up your complete installation and lets you run multiple instances on different Node-RED versions - useful for major upgrades of Node-RED.

1 Like

I get it. That said, I have installed Node-Red numerous times. What I have not done is attempted an in place upgrade. The instructions on an upgrade are very hard to find, and that has been brought up on numerous threads. So in keeping with teach a man to fish...if you could point me to a link on doing an upgrade. Simply put I am using (on this install)

1. Ubuntu 16.04lts
  2. Running under vmware (not important what version)
  3. Node-Red version is v1.2.9
  4. I have no problem configuring the environment for security
  5. No problem with edits in settings.js for config mods
  6. No problem automating flow backups
  7. No problem exporting / importing flows
  8. No problem migrating flows to a fresh new installation
  9. No problem logging issues and monitoring in SIEM
  10. No problem upgrading Linux, and just about any other package
  11. I am really just looking for any insights as to upgrading an in place installation (not understanding how to do an installation or where the files are placed, or what directories to find things in...or any of that. Really just best practices. I do not need multiple instances...that is Why Im using snapshots.

Anyone that can responds with a link to upgrade (not install) directions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Guys...I am an idiot. A baselining tool we are developing was rolling back upgraded items as they where being installed creating conflicts on executable s and config files. Once turned off the original scripts worked flawlessly.

1 Like

A lesson for us all. Susect the environment FIRST :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.