Using Timer in Node Red

I am trying to use a dashboard timer to set the on/off time for a lamp. I am using what looks like a really good implementation of this from https://notenoughtech.com/home-automation/a-timer-in-nodered/, however, I cannot fathom the instructions for including it in my own project. I don't want to bombard the author with too many questions so I was wondering if anyone else has used it?

Here is what I have done so far:
I have imported the flow from (https://gist.github.com/notenoughtech/f24cb20846f57eec19ed617b25cb61ae) onto my node red instance. This has now put a timer on my dashboard. I can enter times and press the buttons but nothing seems to happen when the timer value is reached?

There is an instance of the subflow in the example when i imported it. I can't work out how to use it though?

I am probably being thick and as I am a bit new to node-red but I cannot figure out how to wire up the settings? I am not sure where to edit the environmental variables (this is what it says to do in the instructions).

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful - I have just spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out but have got nowhere - I am probably missing something fairly simple.

Thanks in advance,
Martyn

Well, let's start by asking:

Can you post a screen shot of what the flow looks like when you import it?
Also can you post a screen shot of the dashboard? (The GUI side of things)

That will help establish what is happening on your machine.

here are pictures of the flow and dashboard.

Thank you,

Martyn

Well, I have good news and bad news.

Good news is I looked at the flow - went to the site.

Bad news: very badly written code.

I tried to use it and it makes Swiss cheese look water tight.

I am not an expert programmer - see my name - but that code is really problematic.

This is highlighted by:
1 - You get a sub-flow included (that is used in the top of the code and is the middle node called Timer 1) but is not set when the flow is deployed. And nor is it explained how to use it.
2 - There are two function nodes with more outputs than are used. This is indicative that the code was taken from someone else and butchered to make it work, or is really really in the I hope it works stage.
3 - There are 3 (though I shall ignore the one at the top) inject nodes. Two are labelled something to do with boot yet are not set to inject at boot/deploy. Further more clicking them before using the flow doesn't seem to make things work any better.
4 - There is no clear output indicated, so you (no offence) don't know where to look for a signal changing at the given time/s.
5 - The reset node also has outputs that are not used.

I don't like doing what I just did. We are all different and all program differently. But that code is just not usable as is.

That only makes you more upset as you are trying to use it and it doesn't work.

It is a nice idea, but poorly applied.

Hi,

I am in touch with the author and he is being very helpful in trying to get me up and running. I will post back once I have it sorted.

Thanks

Yeah, I saw that.

Sorry, but I fear you have a long bumpy road ahead of you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.