WeatherAPI com weather service

@weatherapi can you clarify please...

1,000 API calls per day for free

Weather API - OpenWeatherMap

I think that the API that includes the free tier has changed?

Quote from https://www.weatherapi.com/signup.aspx:

On sign up you will be subscribed to Pro Plus plan for free, no obligation 14 day trial.

So the default behaviour is to sign you up for a Ā£35/month subscription.
That's sufficient to persuade me to use other weather API services.

1 Like

Yep, sounds like search is on again. Unfortunately this happens so often - Get you on board for free and then go subscription only.
It will be interesting what @weatherapi has to say.

Hmm, that page is very badly written then since the quote I gave indicates that there should still be a free allowance. But the subscription form certainly doesn't indicate that.

The 3 I mention above are good but somewhat location dependent for the UK Met Office. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As others have said it is really location dependent. WeatherAPI was ok but I moved back to UK Met Office as I sit right in the middle of two of their collection sites which gave more accurate forecasts. Plus I add in the data from my own Davis weather station for current. Looks like it is only payable now on WeatherAPI if you want to join new.

We have removed Free API for all as it was being misused by many users, and we had to take this step. We are still open to providing Free API to students and researchers. But as the matter stays, we cannot keep it open for all.

We are committed to providing all Node RED members Free API access. Please signup and email us for your account to be moved to Free API.

5 Likes

That's good news :smiley:
I assume that we message you via https://www.weatherapi.com/contact.aspx

Yes, that will be fine.

I don't have an account as yet, so I used that contact form to ask about the process and the person did not seem to have any notion of Node RED members. I was just told:

The best way to find out about our API capabilities is to signup for a free no-obligation 14-Day Trial.

I followed up with a more specific query, referencing this thread and have had no reply after 2 days.

Please advise

B.

Well my experience with the company was completely different.
I signed-up for their free trial, then used the link provided by @Paul-Reed to mention I'm a Node-RED user. Within a day I had a nice email saying they had converted my account to a Free API.
Quick and easy.

I just signed up and sent my free API access request in. Hopefully this will go through without drama.

So for Australian users, how does this compare to BOM weather? Despite what it still says on the BOM website, they're blocking all json requests not coming from a browser (not cool).

:slight_smile:

:confused: Are we not allowed to ask what the accuracy of weatherAPI is like compared to the data put out by our local met service?

Let me rephrase my question:

So for Australian users, how does this compare to BOM forecasts?

I didn't perceive a problem here, IMO perfectly acceptable to ask the question, although it's likely that you will only get a reply from someone else who is using BOM weather, and who has also tried weatherAPI. You may be the first!

2 Likes

Shout out to the weatherAPI guys. My new account got moved over yesterday to the free API.

3 Likes

I am an Aussie user and have this on my list to get to - but have not done so yet - so you can report back to us !

Craig

1 Like

Also moved my account over...great customer service!

1 Like

Same here ... account was moved to free ... thx a lot

1 Like