What kafka contrib are you using?

Hi, There are plenty of kafka nodes but they all seems not being updated. Is kafka a out of topic for node-red ? if not, which library are you using ?

thanks

Hi @seb

I have moved this out of Share Your Nodes - As you don't seem to be sharing a Node you have developed.

As for Is kafka a out of topic for node-red

Not at all....
Its whether or not the community has interest.

I have tagged this as kafka to help focus on those that might have input

1 Like

node-red-kafkajs was updated last month.

Last time i used a kafka client, it was node-red-contrib-kafkajs, not too long ago also works.

1 Like

I have been using node-red-contrib-kafkajs for quite a while. Its latest release was 3 years ago. It works, but has a few issues:

1. If the producer node fails to connect to a broker after the retries expire, it throws an unhandled exception which crashes the entire Node-RED server process.
  2. The node does not recover from temporary loss of the broker connection
  3. When catching an error, the node returns only the thrown error without the msg, so you cannot associate it the original sent message
  4. When trying to send a message when the broker is not ready, it ignores and does not return an error

We upgraded to @digproc/node-red-contrib-kafkajs (latest version is v0.0.9), which updated the dependencies to a more current kafkajs, but did not address the above issues.

So we had to patch the node locally for the above issues. Now we started testing @asinino/node-red-kafkajs which was released a month ago, and so far looks good, and solves the above issues.

2 Likes