Why is node red not recognized as Low Code Platform?

Well the table component in bootstrap-vue will do that as well. Not sure whether it is as easy as appsmith but certainly pretty easy for many things. The one pain I've found so far with all of the front-end frameworks other than jQuery is the lack of a really good table component that natively supports editing. They all (the non-commercially licensed ones anyway) seem to require far too much programming to do something that really should be very simple - mark some columns as editable, add new/delete row buttons.

But who will take up the challange?! :grinning:

I do like Node-Red, but I fail to see how it can be referred to as "low-code or no-code". Try to do anything beyond the very basic stuff, and you quickly find yourself struggling with JSON and what not.
Ok, strictly speaking JSON may not be a programming language by definition, but it's equally difficult to learn and use for a non-programmer as any other programming language.
It would have been a blessing if Node-Red were able to accomplish also advanced things - without the need to learn anything more than drag-n-drop nodes and connect them together.
Mankind has struggled for ages to come up with "something" whereby complex problems can be solved using only a mouse, ever since Visual Basic were born back in the 90th, but so far, nothing is truly low-code and definitely not no-code.
Am I right or am I wrong?

1 Like

I say you get what you strive for :smiley:

No code

Low code

All code

I am really enjoying Node-Red as a way to get things happening without too much effort... but learn me some new coding practices along the way.

6 Likes

Visual Basic couldn't really be described as "low code", even on a good day. You'd be hard put to implement anything beyond the most simple applications without writing a lot of code. C# is a more elegant successor to VB, but again it really needs a fair amount of code to achieve anything useful.

On the other hand, even though I do currently use a few function nodes in Node-RED, most of my flows use lots of standard or contrib nodes, so it is much more into the low code region of programming. And I dare say a few of my functions could easily be replaced by e.g. change nodes, but as a long-time coder that was the easiest way for me to learn NR as a new platform.

As a zero coder (I was an English major in college), I can tell you that NR is by far the easiest home automation platform for someone with nothing more than a desire to have my home work the way I want and a willingness to click buttons and see what happens. I tried other platforms before winding up with NR, but they either required things like YAML where the syntax is infuriating to a non-coder (a single misplaced space can make things fail and that kind of thing is very difficult to debug for someone like me) or some much larger installation in a VM. I run NR on an old Chromebook with GalliumOS (Ubuntu) and it works flawlessly.

For me, the most challenging parts of NR are (a) that it really relies only lots and lots of people out there creating a node for your specific device and those people understandably at some point stop developing it and you're left with a buggy node where problems are very difficult if not impossible to fix and (b) the UI can get very very very cluttered with lots of wires and nodes which can make it difficult to debug a node let alone change something.

As with anything, you have to learn the "thought process" of the underlying system but once I understood that NR is essentially built around thinking in terms of highly-nested if/then statements (at least for home automation purposes), it stopped being about coding or lingo and entirely about thinking of my needs in terms of if/then.

I think there are parts of the basic nodes that could be simpler for a non-coder to understand (for example, in a Change Node, Set msg.payload to Global.[variable] isn't the same as Set Global.[variable] to msg.payload yet they look exactly the same to non-coding me and the difference could be clarified because I honestly still don't understand it and get it wrong every time) and some kind of standardization for node developers to follow because I can't tell you how many times I've spent days trying to figure out the syntax to get a node to do what I want because the developer didn't put a proper Readme. Is the input a string? No wait it's JSON, but what's the syntax with brackets? Etc. That kind of thing is very frustrating for a non-coder because I don't know enough to be able to look at the npm stuff and reverse-engineer what's needed to make it work.

But really, NR is the closest thing to no-code yet with enough depth to cover the true complexity of home automation that I've seen.

3 Likes

Think of something like Set the current volume to 25%, which makes sense, but Set 25% to the current volume doesn't make sense. That makes it clear that it is the first element that is being set to the value of the second. However there is no doubt that it can confusing, which is why I very often use Move rather than Change, Move being more intuitive.

That was a poor example key feature for me is user management, RBAC enrolment etc. appsmith has this it's workflow is quite limited as it's front-end oriented which for me a plus as that's where node-red comes in.

I've built a NR context data editor using jsoneditoronline but that is too technical or high-code for some customers. So I want a simple way for them to CRUD NR context data without going anywhere near NR.

I'm sure folk will point out there are other ways of doing this but appsmith is " a framework to build admin panels, CRUD apps and workflows"

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.