WIFI lamp module recommendations

And maybe to add; abandon everything that doesn't provide two-way communication. I have just since 2 weeks replaced my old 433 MHz flush mounted dimmers with Shelly Dimmers for control of facade and outdoor lights on and around our house. One-way communication should be "forbidden" in home automation systems, so much trouble during the years, trying work arounds with "intelligent" flows, regular re-transmissions etc etc

The Shellies work fine, reacting fast on commands, but I noticed that the status could be reported wrong sometimes; using mqtt, the device have (rarely) been reporting "off" even though the power consumption was not zero (lamps where on!!!) So instead, I decided to monitor the actual power consumption. This value seems so far to be reliable. I'm using their latest FW, I'll now check how it works for a longer period in operation

Would be nice if IKEA could make their gateway accepting other Zigbee products as well. Price is hard to beat, 25£ right now

Or if it could be flashed with some other open gateway fw

Right, but to use the mesh functionality you need some mains powered device acting as routers. Otherwise you have a star architecture were all endpoints have to see the hub.
These 10€ modules can do the business and they come with a lot of gpios ... so many possibilities but not enough time ... or some always powered (not always lit) zigbee bulbs on strategic places in the house will work too.

2 Likes

I will try the cc2531 usb / zigbee dongle solution. Together with the programmer, adapter and cables you around 15€ depending on the antenna and programmer from china.

And in the end : all open source
I believe there is a cc25xx + lan chip inside the ikea thing too and somebody wrote an alternative firmware already. Hey I have one somewhere, never used, not even unpacked... should do a search in my workshop :wink:

2 Likes

I’m using Playpulb thru bluetooth on Raspberry, also the same led lamp with Alexa thru node-red