WiFi smart plug that is 100% local network only that is not a hack of some type?

WiFi smart plug that is 100% local network only that is not a hack of some type? I just came across a situation where I need such that will work with internet access is down. I could build one from scratch with an ESP module and a relay, but could I not use a Z-wave or Zigbee setup to do same? NR integration ease is important but not explicitly required. But some type of API or RES API or such is. Can sonoff bridge drive a power plug? Just though of this as was asking this question.

If you are in usa or main land europe i would suggest a shelly plug.

2 Likes

I will second @E1cid here. I have quite a few Shelly products in my home and i love both the relays and plugs. They have both mqtt and support for an http api build in with very good documentation.
You can set them up without any app as each device runs its own tiny web server and so they never have to talk to a cloud or similar straight out of the box.

Nice, thanks for the suggestion... I also saw this...

Wondering if anyone has integrated the above into NR?

you can use any, that can be cross-flashed with tasmota; https://templates.blakadder.com/

I'm sure the shelly's are nice, a bit expensive for me. The SONOFFs are also great if you flash them - but like any Chinese device (and apologies to any Chinese forum users!) - take the wattage ratings with a VERY large pinch of salt. I don't think that they have any temperature fuses in them. I have a few around.

I would only go for my own relay boards if I were very confident with building safe mains voltage electronics. It is a fairly easy way to burn your house down.

1 Like

Yeah... I ONLY use my home grown relays using DC, usually 5v and 12v, at most 24v (typical irrigation controller valve need for example). All such have pretty light AMP loading as well. US 125v is no fun when shock yourself, never mind EU 240v, not to mention the AMP loading possible with either!

I have (or had) the previous version of the RaZberry. And I did some kind of "integration" with NR using MQTT. It was not very convenient, more a script hacking if I remember. Today I have a Aeotec stick for the very few z-wave devices I have

I would not select that path starting with z-wave or zigbee devices in general, they are, in my opinion, far too expensive, at least in my country Sweden. Besides, I think they are a bit too complicated to setup for my needs, just controlling electrical consuming equipment like lamps, heaters etc

I started off long time ago with those cheap rf devices, never made me real happy, they worked ok but you wish more from the reliability

Today I use Shelly plugs since more than a year. So far the best of what I have had. Fast, reliable, wifi, easy to configure, uses MQTT, not depending on internet (but your wifi network), easy firmware upgrade. I also think the price is "acceptable", is in midrange of those cheaper rf devices and z-wave stuff (pricing might differ for you in the US with customs, VAT, who knows)

You can build your own stuff for the low voltage, I have myself a couple "homebrewed" low-voltage solutions for various tasks based on ESP32. But I would not recommend making a device directly controlling mains operated equipment, in my country that is in addition also illegal and I'm sure the insurance company would give me a hard time (no money payed out) if such a device caused a fire in my house

1 Like

Annoyingly, Shelly don't do a UK plug, only wire-in units. So not really an option for us unless you have a deep hole behind a standard UK socket.

In the UK, you can get Zigbee plugs starting from about £10, the same price as the Shelly 1. Though it is true, most of them are more like £20-30. A SONOFF basic is around £10 as well. You can get more options on cheaper WiFi plugs than Zigbee ones but whether or not you can tasmotize them is rather a gamble right now.

Zigbee has certainly really dropped in price though you still need a Zigbee controller of some kind that is compatible with Node-RED. Not done any Zigbee myself yet but probably will do eventually.

Yeah, I could do a ESP based solution... but I don't want to do more than 5v, 12v or maybe 24v (low AMP) stuff with such. So that is out of scope here. I have looked at Z-wave, the one idea is that there is a daughter card/gpio hat for Pi devices that lets the Pi device at as a z-wave controller. It is only about $20 US, which seems reasonable. I only need 1 z-wave plug as well, so I might try this Pi add-on just to see how well it works. But using a shelly device is definitely in scope as well. All the other smart plugs I have, don't care that they use an external server, they are not critical. This one project, I have the explicit need to keep the communication strictly local.

But they do the shelly button, so you could put the device on the power lead. This means you can add a fuse, better than puting device behind a socket. To top it off you get a handy button.
https://shop.shelly.cloud/shelly-button-wifi-smart-home-automation#64
" do do" editedout as it was just so bad.lol

1 Like

At least here in Germany you can get a plethora of wifi plugs which have already been flashed with tasmota on ebay. Maybe something to look at. Cheap, totally offline, direct integration into nodered via mqtt and you have to do no flashing yourself. Only caveat here is you have to trust the ebay seller that he didn’t tinker with the tasmota firmware before flashing it.

I use four of those with shelly dimmer 2s as there is no real options of dimmable plugs out there except for z-wave. Its a tight squeeze for the dimmer 2s in the shelly button but i love them.

So the dimmer fits, that good to hear, as the button is not designed for it.

Yes i bought them in the anniversary sale in august. If you look at the older docs it said they fit the dimmer 1 so i just took a shot and tried it. They have been working great ever since :smile:

The Shelly dimmer 2's are great, especially when used together with Google Home (Nest) and node-RED.
Only criticism I have is that if you want a really slow fade or increase in brightness (used like a Lumi lamp), the 1% increment/decrements are too coarse, and you can see the steps.

Otherwise the Shelly's get my vote :+1:

1 Like

I could but that would be EUR30 instead of the £10 for a SONOFF basic - 3x the price.

So you can't use a EU standard plug in UK?

20 euros and worth the extra expense in the long term.

1 Like

Not sure what the motive would be... All you have to do is change a couple of firewall rules and said plug could never talk to the outside world. That 1 of 100s or 1000s of plugs, might just be purchased by someone that is a viable target? If they are buy in eBay, suggests that are not part of the 1%? LOL