WiFi smart plug that is 100% local network only that is not a hack of some type?

No the UK has the Safest plug in the world, with that responsibility it is also the most painful.

2 Likes

or from the uk reseller - https://shellystore.co.uk/

shelly

2 Likes

I have never liked middle men.

I wouldnā€™t worry either just thought I would mention it :man_shrugging:

EUR30 because you need the Shelly as well don't you?

I would never get EUR30 worth of value just for a remotely operated plug when I can do it for 10. They are only for fun and convenience. It isn't like they really save any money.

Surely if they have already been flashed, you would just OTA reflash them anyway? I know I would (though it is true that both my job and my nature make me somewhat paranoid).

Oh boy! Why did it never occur to me to do that search!!!! Thanks @JGKK :smiley:

Oh, I looked there first and missed that. Now that is in my Yorkshire tight-a**ed price range :smiley:

1 Like

Off-topic but I noticed that once you gave initial "hey google" - all the rest of the commands didn't need the prefix!

I thought - wow - I wish I had that on my Alexa dots as its very slow to use it control moving thru my SkyQ menu from the kitchen (but I do it just to prove it can be done :slight_smile: - and then I googled and found out that Alexa does it as well :slight_smile:

What a serendipitous result :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 20 Euros includes the shelly 1 and the button and shipping international.

1 Like

Some of the TP-Link Kasa plugs are local only by design not hacking. You set them up with the app but can use a guest account. I use them solely on my LAN and you don't need internet at all for them to work though you'll probably want to assign them a static IP in your router. Here are the models that work on local only:

I have/had a tp-link wifi switch which could be controlled locally. Sadly, the relay has failed on it.

I am looking at the TP-link option likely, the z-wave... as a maybe, and a cloudfree option. Cloudfree is the smart device producer that ships with a non-cloud firmware image, not something based on tuya variants.

We live in the UK, but have a place in Spain as well. There's plenty of choice in EU type sockets and I prefer the Shelly Plug S compared to the EU Sonoffs because they are much smaller and can be used side by side in a power strip.
I've recently flashed an EU Blitzwolf BW-SHP9 Smart Power Strip with my own MQTT firmware and it works very nicely. This has three EU individually switched sockets, plus two USB sockets that are switched together by the 4th relay.

I discovered a UK version of this on Amazon and ordered one, which arrived yesterday...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FT8TH3W/ref=dp_prsubs_3

It basically has the same functionality as the Blitzwolf BW-SHP9, and is the same in terms of the GPIOs for the relays, switch and indicator LED so the same code works with both.
The only dr4awback is that there is only one pushbutton switch, which I use to turn all of the outputs on or off, so no physical switching for the three outlets plus USB. This is fine for me as it's going to be in an inaccessible location anyway.
The UK version has serial and power connections on 2mm pitch rather than 2.54mm for the EU version, but they are well labelled and easily flashed.

The Shelly 1 has a jumper that allows you to power it from 12v DC or mains voltage and the relay connections are "dry" - they aren't connected to the supply voltage, so you could power the device from the mains but switch a low voltage load if you wish.
They have MQTT capability built-in, and easy access to the serial/power connections if you want to re-flash it with your own firmware (which I always do).

Pete.

1 Like

I really need to build myself some 5v (USB) powered, 5v WiFi switching relays for USB powered lamps. We have quite a few of those (thanks to our local Ikea :smiley:) and I'd be happy working with 5v and up to 2A.

1 Like

...to be honest, finding an off the shelve product with cloud-free firmware is merely impossible these days.
Some plugs are shipped with tasmota from the factory (like https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_11827/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en but no zigbee option afaik) and there are some shops that offer to ship them cross flashed, if they support another firmware, like tasmota.

I found "CloudFree" as well, one of the very few that ship devices with a local only option. https://cloudfree.shop/product/cloudfree-smart-plug/

I have also used EcoStrip, which is a USB switched power-strip. I created a small breakout board that interfaces a GPIO output (and GND) to a USB female socket, with resistance and rectifier to ensure GPIO pin limits AMP and Voltage, and current direction to the USB connector. EcoStrip USB triggered power-strips use just a simple voltage on trigger to drive the 125v/15A main relay to close, and no voltage to let relay fall back to open state. The actual current and voltage required to trigger the switch was a fraction of the 120ma/5v documented requirement for EcoStrip. So a 3.3v GPIO pin on a ESP module worked well. Of course you could insert a IR521 mosfet to the circuit as well.

Helpful to indicate what country things are from. People in the forum are from all over the world so US based products not always so useful.

And how many of the above posts... qualified location? Or is it just my post that should denote location? :slight_smile:

Your latest "CloudFree" is pretty local as I see it. Useable in US only plus some other countries that might have US standards. (Like Saudi Arabia if I remember correctly from when I was working there). The shop is a student's side-business. Myself I really prefer more established and global suppliers. Great anyway to see such an initiative!

1 Like

Yeah, maybe over time they will expand to be a bit more like Shelly. They were priced very similar to several eBay options, so figured it would be good to support them. As I receive the units, test, and such, will document here my experience. Saudi Arabia? The middle east, is on my travel bucket list, with Australia. I have traveled all over west and eastern Europe from UK to Turkey, even was behind the wall in East Germany, and a few other east bloc countries, when such existed. Several in South America, and of course even worked in Canada a bit. Traveling and working abroad, out of the US, is something every one in the US should do if they can, you just don't understand the world until you travel and work beyond the US.

1 Like

I always try to indicate if something is location specific like the CloudFree option. Either by showing the cost with a specific currency or by explicitly saying as in some of the examples above I think.

Indeed, that is true for all countries. Though the economic power of the USA does tend to make that a bit more obvious in the experiences I've had with people from there. :smiley:

Can't remember now how many countries I've visited over the years whether for a couple of weeks up to months or so, some working, some travelling and some just touristing. Each is unique and each interesting. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

I was very lucky, my family traveled extensively even when I was young... first visit to (West) Germany when I was 4. By the time I was 12, I had visited, sometimes for considerable time, about 25 or 30 countries, some multiple times. It was common in my family for most of us to at least know two languages well, many knew 3 or 4, or more. I remember once, walking with my mom in a mall store in the US, she asked me a question in French, I answered in German, she then replied in English. The sales clerk looked from my mom to me and back to my mom, LIKE WE WHERE FROM SOME ALIEN PLANET! Truth be told, was not fluent in French, to a reasonable degree in German. But it definitely changed my perception of the world in general.

Get this... I swear it is true.. my Dachshunds behave better and respond faster when I give commands in German... I joke not. They just do.

1 Like