Windows 11 + Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) + Latest Node-Red Installation > Installation Failure

Hi,

On Windows 11 Home (23H2 build 22631.3880), I have repeatedly tried to uninstall Node.js using the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature. I then downloaded and reinstalled Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64. Additionally, I cleared the npm cache using the command npm cache clean --force.

Each time I attempted to install Node-Red using the standard command (npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red), the installation was endless, continuously displaying the /-\ symbol animation.

After fully uninstalling Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64 and installing Node.js v18.20.4 (LTS) x64, I successfully installed and launched Node-Red without any errors.

It seems there is an issue on Windows 11 with Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64 and the latest Node-Red installation. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Regards, David R.

I've not installed things in that way but I have upgraded a node-red 4 install to Node.js 20. I assume that you included the windows build tools in your node.js install?

Maybe try a local rather than global install to double-check that it isn't a weird permissions issue.

To install locally, you could use my alternate installer or simply:

mkdir nrtest
cd nrtest
npm init -y
npm install node-red --production --unsafe-perm

Hi, and thanks for your reply, TotallyInformation.

Just like you, I've successfully upgraded from Node.js v18.20.4 (LTS) x64 to Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64 using the standard Windows MSI file without any extra options. Node-Red was still functional with Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64.

However, with Node.js 20, when I attempted to use the standard command (npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red), the installation was endless, continuously displaying the /-\ symbol animation, just like before.

I then re-installed Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64 and checked the option "Automatically install the necessary tools" (this was not mandatory for Node-Red with Node.js 18).

With all the options available on Node.js 20, I retried with the command npm install -g --unsafe-perm --verbose node-red. This command still did not complete:

I don't think it is a permission issue because my account has admin privileges, and the installation process works fine with Node.js 18.

I've had exactly the same issue with the local install of Node-Red :

mkdir nrtest
cd nrtest
npm init -y
npm install node-red --production --unsafe-perm

After npm cache clearing ( npm cache clean --force), npm install -g --unsafe-perm --verbose node-red fails just after this line:

npm http fetch GET 200 https://registry.npmjs.org/@node-rs/bcrypt/-/bcrypt-1.10.4.tgz 2652ms (cache miss)

(same issue with Node.js v22.5.0)

According to this page that package isn't ready for node.js above 18.

Is it needed?

npm install -g --unsafe-perm --verbose node-red

With node.js v18.20.4 no issue.

I'm on:
Node-RED version: v4.0.2
Node.js version: v20.7.0
Windows 10

My install works but I have no trace of that package

my package.json only lists "bcryptjs" and "bcrypt"

I just removed a node.js node https://www.npmjs.com/package/suncalc and restarted node-red installation with Node.js v20.15.1 (LTS) x64 > no issue. Thanks

Sorry, been away for a couple of days.

If you already have some installed packages, you MUST run an npm rebuild after changing node.js major versions. Alternatively, delete ~/.node-red/node_modules and then reinstall everything.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.