Z-wave question

another info regarding sonoff wifi switches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZwcZS7Qu4

However you can directly do the same with the modules directly using rules & commands via MQTT without the need of any wiring even without node red or home assistant… anything else…

Regards

I write my own code - no Tasmoda, etc. I did figure how I could use the traveler wires to build a 3-way or 4-way switch using a single Sonoff Basic. I may yet, but I wanted to give Z-Wave a try first.

This is how I planned to do it with Sonoff. I already use GPIO14 wired to the original switch and my software just looks for a change from the switch (it's either high or low). The difference is that I switch between +5 and GPIO14 to reduce the noise profile.

Darn, there goes my excuse for experimenting with Z-Wave....

I don't want Home Assistant, but I have not found a way to control Z-Wave devices from Node Red without Home Assistant. If you are aware of a way to make a controller using the Aeotec Z-Stick and a Raspberry Pi3 without Home Assistant, then, please tell me.

Steve, don’t waste your time… give a try to tasmota or ESPeasy, any of booth are so well done… that does not deserve to try to do nothing from your own for any sonoff module… believe me.

Regards

OK, That's where I wound up. I started from scratch with a new Pi3 and burned the hass.io image. I added SSH, ZWave and Node-Red and after banging my head into the wall many times (no documentation, or documentation written by and for Home Assistant experts), I finally got to where I can turn a light on or off from Node-Red.

Now, I have two Node Red servers running. I will now be migrating stuff from my Raspian Node-Red to my hass.io Node-red.

I am still struggling in the deep end. Can you throw me a lifeline? I'll start another thread since this one has gone so far off-topic.

Steve

Hello,
I finally got openzwave on node-red to work on my PI..... finally :slightly_smiling_face:
I have purchased a Aeotec Z-Stick and a 6in1 motion detector from the same company.
When I click on the action button on the sensor messages get send to to the zwave node giving parameters of the different sensors of the device, so communications is working as it should.

However, the sensor is a mainly a motion detector and I want to use it to detect motion to switch on lights in different sections of the house.
Now, my problem is, that the sensor does not send any events when motion should be detected... It looks like the sensor goes into a deep-sleep and only responds when I push the action button.

What must I do to ensure the sensor sends motion events when motion is detected?
Also, how do you send configuration parameters to the device?
If anybody would have some sample flows to share this would be great?

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks

To set values, you need to use something like:

{topic:"setValue",payload:{nodeid: 2,cmdclass: 64,cmdidx: 0,value:"Heat"}}

The nodeid, cmdclass and cmdidx and value can be found in the xml file that has been created in your node-red directory.
It contains all the information from your devices.

hello thanks for the info

anybody has experience with the aeotec 6in1 sensor regarding responsiveness using node-red?

Yes, with the caveat that I don't use OpenZwave (didn't play nicely with me Eaton setup last time I tested it). I've used it with both OpenHab and HomeSeer Zwave tiggering MQTT messages and bringing those into Node-Red turn on lights for motion vents and on/off a fan for high humidity (those going back out over MQTT to trigger Zwave devices). Responsiveness has been good with minimal lag from motion to the light turning on.